Henderson instadry problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently received a 3mm suit of this model in a size 2xl shorty and have been pretty shocked and appalled at a couple of things.

sizing: while the chest fits fine, there's enough room in the gut here to make myself another suit. This doesn't spec out to how henderson's size chart works. I realize that these are supposed to 'mold to fit' but this is totally wrong. I look like a beached walrus between dives. i'm not kidding. i can grab handfuls of rubber.

internal material: this stuff is the worst. when it gets wet, it turns into a sticky gooey mess that's a real pain in the *** to put back on (the outside sure dries nicely, though. in fact, it gets really hot!) in short, it's so bad that on a recent 10-day carib trip i was patient with it for about 2 days and then just finished out the trip in a pair of shorts.

And before anybody asks, the suit was a last minute gift so yes i took it and dove it. And no, i have no hair on my legs. or anywhere else for that matter.

any chance there's a henderson rep out there than can help with this? thanks.

You aren't alone. On a recent dive trip, I heard similar complaints from 2 other people. I use the instadry boots and gloves, and think they are great for that. But it sounds like the instadry suits have some problems.

My shorty and full ID fits fine, maybe yours is cut wrong.

In the fact sheet that came with mine, they talk about the wet/wet, dry/dry, and wet/dry issue. If you're wet and it's wet, it goes on fine. If you're dry and it's dry, fine again. But if one is wet and one is dry, what a pain! Mine always dries between dives and I use their little towel to make sure I'm dry and not sweaty.

thanks for the reply. and glad to know that i'm not the only one out there that hates these things. somebody mentioned that mine might be 'cut wrong' but i seriously doubt it. if a diver's got a decent sized chest and a giant gut this thing would fit them perfectly...

Mine fits me nicely... and I don't have a giant chest OR a monster gut. (ID 7mm full suit)

I think anyone with especially broad shoulders and a small waist is going to have issues with off-the-rack wetsuit sizing, however, no matter what brand of suit (hyperstretch may compensate for this somewhat). Perhaps custom fit is better for your body shape?

I agree with what they said re wet+dry = tough to get in, but wet/wet or dry/dry is no problem. If the suit is wet and I'm not, however, pulling the suit on in the water (if the water is warm enough) or under a shower (if it's not) usually does the trick just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by "sticky", however, unless you're just referring to friction. There is no actual stickiness in mine. If you're on a trip and having issues getting it dried out in time, I recommend drying it inside out. That way the part that matters is all set for you to put on. Whether the outside is slightly damp or not is irrelevant. In warm air, however, if I hang it to dry mine is generally bone dry in a half hour, however, so I don't think this has ever been much of an issue for me.

I like the suit, but I prefer an attached hood, so I'll probably get something else next time. I LOVE the 3mm gloves and 7mm booties, however... simply wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom