Hepatitis and buddy breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D1v1n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently took my Rescue Diver/First aid/CPR class. The American Red Cross was fastidious in using alcohol and wipes/breathing barriers when practicing CPR, etc. What is the chance of contracting hepatitis c or the like from buddy breathing? For the most part you are taught to give up your primary and breathe off your backup when sharing. Have any of the agencies changed any policies or trainings because of concerns? Or the other question that came up, was in the amount of post use cleaning that goes into regulator rental, etc.

As I understand, Hepatitis C can be infected by sputum....

From what I recall, Hepatitis B can be transmitted through saliva. If you're really worried about something like Hep B, get yourself vaccinated. Don't know how much it costs but it was free for me.

I don't know if there's enough saliva in the donated mouthpiece by the time it gets to the diver. Somebody else might know.

It's a routine vaccination for many of us who travel. Nothing to worry about if you get the vaccine.
It was free for me as well.

You have a greater risk of contracting hepatitis having unprotected sex than you do air sharing. The risk is probably low with air sharing. I would think anybody with active hepatitis would be too ill to dive.

I got the Hep B vaccine over 10 years ago as an employee benefit. There is no need for a booster after the initial series of 3 shots. I got the Hep A vaccine last year for international travel. It is a series of 2 shots. My insurance paid for it. There is no vaccine for Hep C. If you have been exposed to any of the hepatitis viruses, you can get immune globulin for some measure of protection.

You're probably not too likely to pick up Hepatitis C from buddy breathing... unless your buddy is a recent shark attack victim, loves to puke through his regulator, or you're both heroin junkies.

According to the CDC, Hepatitis C:

* Occurs when blood from an infected person enters the body of a person who is not infected.
* HCV is spread through sharing needles or "works" when "shooting" drugs, through needlesticks or sharps exposures on the job, or from an infected mother to her baby during birth.​

Further, the CDC has these preventative tips:

* There is no vaccine to prevent hepatitis C.
* Do not shoot drugs; if you shoot drugs, stop and get into a treatment program; if you can't stop, never share needles, syringes, water, or "works", and get vaccinated against hepatitis A & B.
* Do not share personal care items that might have blood on them (razors, toothbrushes).
* If you are a health care or public safety worker, always follow routine barrier precautions and safely handle needles and other sharps; get vaccinated against hepatitis B.
* Consider the risks if you are thinking about getting a tattoo or body piercing. You might get infected if the tools have someone else's blood on them or if the artist or piercer does not follow good health practices.
* HCV can be spread by sex, but this is rare. If you are having sex with more than one steady sex partner, use latex condoms* correctly and every time to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. You should also get vaccinated against hepatitis B.
* If you are HCV positive, do not donate blood, organs, or tissue.​

Hepatitis A from a mouthpiece? Sure, that's a very real possibility.

Hepatitis B? Probably not... transmitted the same way as Hepatitis C, as well as sexually.

As most mentioned, you can be vaccinated against A and B. IMHO, everyone should be vaccinated against Hep A, especially if you're fond of eating out or travelling abroad.

If you suspect your buddy's blood is on/in the regulator (maybe because they yacked through it?), you may have something to worry about. But not a super big worry. Most of it is going to be flushed out / likely isn't in his alternate regulator / will be so diluted by the water that your chances of infection would be pretty slim.

Just don't shoot up with your buddy before you dive, and you should be okay!

Mono, the flu, a cold... you -might- be able to pick up one of those things from a mouthpiece.

Course... if you're in a situation where you need to buddy breathe, getting sick is probably better than getting dead!

-Brandon.

To my knowledge as a DMT and DAN professional member, there are no substantiated cases of hepatitis transfer from the practice of "buddy breathing". This, however, does not mean it has NOT happened.

Given the realities of the required viral loads and mechanisms for transfer, you would be better off worrying about possible meteor strikes. :D

Hep C is transferrable through blood only. It's not likely to occur in a wet environment. However, if your buddy has confirmed Hep C, make sure he doesn't have any open sores or cuts in his mouth.

From WebMD,

You cannot get hepatitis C from casual contact such as hugging, kissing, sneezing, coughing, or sharing food or water with someone. You can get hepatitis C if your blood comes into contact with the blood of someone who has hepatitis C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom