here is a poll question how much do you tip your DM and captains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Christi - I like your perspective! Also your info on the tipping do's and don'ts. What's your operation's name in Cozumel?

Charlie

BTW - I start at 20% at a resturant - but my gradings tough!

I start at $5 per per person per tank and work up from there (or down on a very rare occassion) if the level of service deserves it, i.e. taking the boat down to Punta Sur and diving Devil's Throat. That rate seems to be the local standard in Cozumel and many other places. However, keep in mind the local exchange rate when tipping. For instance, in the Cayman Islands where the US dollar is devalued compared to the CI dollar, if using US currency then I will tip about $6.50 US per person per tank.

Hi Cristi,

I am trying to make up my mind on doing my OW dives near home, or as a referral.

I live in Denver, and diving here is a bit of a joke but we do have worldclass skiing!!

Near to home is 5-8 hours from Denver (Blue Hole, NM - Crater, UT).

So two questions: what are your rates for OW certification referral? If you do not want to post this publically, feel free to email me at ronald.frank@gmail.com.

Also in your opionion would I be smarter to certify within driving distance in a not as nice dive location to have it out of the way for when I do vacation, or is the OW cert a nice mixture of skills while still having some time to enjoy the dive?

Thanks for any response..
Ron

NCDiver2004:
Hey Christi - I like your perspective! Also your info on the tipping do's and don'ts. What's your operation's name in Cozumel?

Charlie

BTW - I start at 20% at a resturant - but my gradings tough!

Her op is Blue XT Sea diving http://bluextseadiving.com/aboutus2.htm

I have used her dive op before and I would recommend her. If you have any questions email her through her website. She is quick to answer. If you do a search on this board you will get plenty of positive remarks about her and her operation. :D

"Tipping Cab drivers in Mexico"

Is this true? Or just an idea for a skit on next week's 'Saturday Night Live'

I always tip the cabbies in Mexico. I tip everyone. The maid, bartender, waiter...these people don't make very much money. The way I figure it is: If I can afford a diving vacation, I can afford to spend a little more to reward excellent service.

Sometime a few bucks is all it takes to go from mediocre to excellent.

NCDiver2004:
Thanks Parrothead - I figured that with that attitude she'd have to have a 1st class operation.

C

She does, and because she is a class act herself, she does not post here to promote here own business, only as a trusted resource who is very familiar with diving in Cozumel.

Generally, I tip $5 per day (per diver). I usually tip daily as opposed to at the end of the trip because the DM/boat crew can change from day to day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom