Hero 3 camera sleep while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anybody experience the camera stop functioning on 2nd dive but the LCD still shows? The first time, I just removed the battery and it work again. The second time, I took it out from the uw casing and it could be turned on.

Now I'm diving in Lembeh Straits with water temperature about 27 - 28 degrees c.

It's really frustrating not being able to shoot the spanish dancer and flamboyant octopus during last night's dive .. :depressed:

Dor1813, this is one of the commonly reported problems with the H3. It might not have anything to do with diving itself, diving just makes it impossible to pull out the battery and "reboot" it. If you look in this H3 forum, there is a bunch of people with similar (and even weirder) problems: GoPro HD Hero3

Latest I heard if you look at the box on the bottom you will find a REV number
all the way through Rev 4 have issues
If you can return it and get a rev 5 problems gone.
Seems to be the most common is freezing. Mine does it occasionally powering on. worse with Wifi on.

So if I do not get mine exchanged, I plan to power on and take a quick 2 second video before hitting the water. Then make sure i take some video every 10 minutes or so to keep it from shutting down

My cameras both glitch out under following circumstances: on for more than 40 mins and you turn camera off and it will not turn back again unless you take out battery. I just let footage roll and it eventually runs out of juice. I narrowed it down to camera overheating and going into safety shutdown mode. After 30 mins camera is hot to touch with little ventilation in housing

Latest I heard if you look at the box on the bottom you will find a REV number
all the way through Rev 4 have issues
If you can return it and get a rev 5 problems gone.
Seems to be the most common is freezing. Mine does it occasionally powering on. worse with Wifi on.

So if I do not get mine exchanged, I plan to power on and take a quick 2 second video before hitting the water. Then make sure i take some video every 10 minutes or so to keep it from shutting down

Is the Rev number accessible anywhere else other than the box? Just got mine a couple weeks ago straight from GoPro and it won't stay on more than 30 minutes period. Definitely hot. Googling saw some link about removing the FCC sticker from inside the battery compartment to fix. Something about the backside of the sticker is metallic and is shorting the temp sensor.

Is the Rev number accessible anywhere else other than the box? Just got mine a couple weeks ago straight from GoPro and it won't stay on more than 30 minutes period. Definitely hot. Googling saw some link about removing the FCC sticker from inside the battery compartment to fix. Something about the backside of the sticker is metallic and is shorting the temp sensor.

Has anyone remove the FCC sticker and do not experience anymore of camera lock up or heating issues?

I had similar issues - I tried EVERYTHING to fix it, as it was a glitchy sometimes occurring problem.. I returned it to GoPro and they replaced it. Be sure to insist on expedited return shipping. I did not, and they took like 8 weeks to get me my replacement camera. However I have had no problems with my replacement. When they replaced the camera they also sent a new battery with it. I dont know if they just forgot to remove it, or if there was an issue with the battery. I was a "preorder" user, so I had one of the very first REV's of Hero Black. Things you can try are uprgading the firmware, or swapping the memory card. All these things and others were suggested to me as well, and ultimately returning the camera was the solution.

Thanks.

The lock up happened during the first few dives of my last trip with the Gopro hero3.
Tomorrow will be my second trip and give it one more chance before returning it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom