Hesitating to dive after shark attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your chances of being struck by lightning are much greater than being hit by a great white shark. I don't think that statistic was meant for California divers!

Your chances of getting hit by lighting in California are pretty slim. They are even slimmer while you're underwater. But when you swim with sea lions off the coast of California, I'd be thinking more about sharks than lightning!

Meeting a game warden on a hunt is about as welcome as contracting a heat rash on a good date,
personally I wanted to wait a few weeks and let the young and the bold dive Avilla, to see if we were experiencing an unusual trend in shark behaviour:) zeN||

I find that the thought passes through my mind every dive, since the sighting, but it's not an all-consuming thing.

Well, GWSs tend to be territorial.

Stinson Beach in Marin County California tends to bear that out.

Would I go scuba diving at Stinson?

Do you want the short answer or the long answer?

Mono Lobo Wall near Carmel River State Beach in Carmel California is not normally noted for GWS sightings, but if you have been around long enough, you may possibly subscribe to the lore that there is a "resident" there.

Looks like Avila will have a neighborhood stigma for awhile, possibly, for some people.

That is perfectly normal.

Different people react differently to fear. Some people have no fear. They tend to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, ride motorcycles in traffic, bunjee jump, and go snorkeling at Avila to feed the seals on a boogie board.

Other people wont go near Mono Lobo Wall even 10 years after the last GWS incident there. I expect that Avila will be the same.

Regarding the dangerous human species known as the DFG Game Warden, you have to understand that they have a dangerous law enforcement job. I respect them, try to be polite to them, make sure I fill out my ab card on the beach near the wet sand, and then I dont fear them. I will even offer them an ab occasionally, although I have never had any takers. Guess they just dont have an ice chest with them in their DFG trucks.

ab·a·lo·ne (plural ab·a·lo·nes)

noun

edible shellfish: an edible sea mollusk that breathes through holes in its ear-shaped shell. The pearly interior of the shell is used for making jewelry. Genus Haliotis.

[Mid-19th century. Via American Spanish abulón from Shoshonean aulun .]

zeN|| once bubbled...
personally I wanted to wait a few weeks and let the young and the bold dive Avilla,

Lets go do some spearfishing there real soon and make sure we chum the water really good before hand. You lead the dive and ill follow, just dont look back to see if im still there. :eek:ut: :thumb: :sharks:

Just dove (dived) Catalina west end. Navigation was off a little, so we had a bit of a surface swim. Vis at depth = awesome, vis at surface = not. As I swam back to boat, I couldn't help but think about how much I look like a verrrry slow seal. As I looked around into the silty water, I couldn't help but think "Freakin' recent shark sightings!", "Freakin shark week!", "Freakin' vis!", and "Freakin' boat! Were are you..."

Yeah, I know.... you're more likely to get struck-by-lightning- shot-in-a-7-11- fall-off-a-roller-coaster- struck-by-a-Barry-Bonds-Home-Run-Ball, etc, etc, etc. C'mon now, though it's not going to happen, you can't help but think how it sure would suck a LOT to be the evidence that pacific Great Whites are able to break the surface as they attack their prey.

:guitar:

If the vis is bad, then the shark cannot see you either.

As long as you are not chumming the waters with a stringer of speared fish, the shark cannot smell you.

Just make sure you dont splash with your fins, then the shark cannot hear you either.

Sharks are not Superman. They dont have Xray vision. They dont have bionic hearing. If you dont attract their attention you should go unnoticed.

They are attracted to huge, slow, bleeding things, like whale carcasses. They are the garbage collectors of the sea. Thats their job. They are just doing the job that God or Mother Nature gave them to do.

Dont do anything stupid, and you should not attract them. Then you can relax during your surface swim back to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom