Hey Texas folks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So I find myself in a hotel accross the border from our plant in Reynosa Mexico on business and it looks like I have to stay the weekend. I'll probably have to work Sat but I'll have to kill Sunday on my own.

I was thinking aboiut some diving and checked out the ops on South Padre. American divers is going to the Texas Underwater Park. It's $100 for the diving and another $45 for gear. Naturally I didn't bring anything with me. Can any one tell me anything about the site (I know depths and stuff)...but is it a nice dive? What about the oporator? $100 sounds like a lot for a trip like that. I pay that in the Great Lakes on boats doing deep wrecks that can only carry six. Last time I dived the Gulf (panama City) I thnk I paid about half that. Not to sound cheap but I'm down hear training my replacement so the company can fire me at the end of the month. LOL And...from Mcallen I'd have to be up REALLY EARLY to get to the island in time.

If there's anyone in the area that might be there Sunday speak up I'm still trying to make up my mind. Well that and I still have to call and ask the wife if I can have any money. LOL

MikeFerrara:
So I find myself in a hotel accross the border from our plant in Reynosa Mexico on business and it looks like I have to stay the weekend. I'll probably have to work Sat but I'll have to kill Sunday on my own.

I was thinking aboiut some diving and checked out the ops on South Padre. American divers is going to the Texas Underwater Park. It's $100 for the diving and another $45 for gear. Naturally I didn't bring anything with me. Can any one tell me anything about the site (I know depths and stuff)...but is it a nice dive? What about the oporator? $100 sounds like a lot for a trip like that. I pay that in the Great Lakes on boats doing deep wrecks that can only carry six. Last time I dived the Gulf (panama City) I thnk I paid about half that. Not to sound cheap but I'm down hear training my replacement so the company can fire me at the end of the month. LOL And...from Mcallen I'd have to be up REALLY EARLY to get to the island in time.

If there's anyone in the area that might be there Sunday speak up I'm still trying to make up my mind. Well that and I still have to call and ask the wife if I can have any money. LOL

Hey Mike,
When I was stationed down in Texas ~5 years ago, I used to run down to South Padre for the weekends and get in some diving in the Gulf. Charters were typically more expensive due to the couple hour (and then some) boat ride out to the oil rigs for the diving. Most of the divers were going spearfishing. The diving wasn't bad....viz was in the 30' to 50' range for a good day...and on a bad day comparable to a bad day at the quarry....3' or so. Good amount of sea life on the oild rigs.
Also, as I remember, showtime for leaving was something like 0400....once again, to accomodate the long boat ride....we'd get back into dock ~4 or 5 pm.
Have fun!

brando

Hello Mike:

American Divers is owned and operated by Tim O'Leary, NAUI's Tec. Operations Director. I would consider it a good operation. The problem with diving the South Padre is that the wind is usually blowing pretty good all the time which usually equals rough (or at least uncomfortable) seas.

The viz can vary from poor, 10-15, to great 100+, depending on the day/site.

I am not sure I would spend the money. I think I would rather spend the $100 sitting in a bar on the beach in Padre drinkin beer and looking at the scenery. :)

In my opinion, northern Gulf diving is alot better.

That's just my $.02!

Have fun regardless,

Chris

$.02 of honesty is worth a bunch more I'm thinking. I'm no stranger to rough water but once I hauled gear down here and the wind blew and the boats stayed in. I've had fishing trips canceled the same way. Thanks.

cmay:
Hello Mike:

American Divers is owned and operated by Tim O'Leary, NAUI's Tec. Operations Director. I would consider it a good operation. The problem with diving the South Padre is that the wind is usually blowing pretty good all the time which usually equals rough (or at least uncomfortable) seas.

The viz can vary from poor, 10-15, to great 100+, depending on the day/site.

I am not sure I would spend the money. I think I would rather spend the $100 sitting in a bar on the beach in Padre drinkin beer and looking at the scenery. :)

In my opinion, northern Gulf diving is alot better.

That's just my $.02!

Have fun regardless,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom