Hi Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MidnightRain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi Y'all! I am a florida native looking to get into scuba. My school is offering a discounted OW class in march and I am excited to sign up. That being said, I dont know much about diving right now but want to eventually be a wreck diver. I am thinking of purchasing my own equipment right off the bat. I have suit and snorkeling gear from surfing and snorkeling. Super excited to learn from y'all!

Welcome. Before you purchase a full set of gear, be aware many would suggest taking time to get acquainted with more options first.

For example, there's a decent chance the BCD you encounter will be a jacket style BCD. You ought to learn about the BP/W alternative, not because it's better for everyone, but because it's a viable option.

Similarly, a good regulator may cost several hundred dollars, but it does not need to be labeled 'titanium' and priced around $1,500+. But you may want a brand that a local dive shop services, because it's recommended to get them serviced periodically.

For dive computers, some thought should go into wrist vs. console unit, air-integrated vs. not, and where you see your diving going in the future, if practical.

Take each main piece of gear - mask, BCD, regulator, fins and dive computer (I'll skip boots; that's not quite is pivotal), and do some digging on ScubaBoard, read some threads, and see what looks good to you.

When you say 'wreck diver,' do you mean fin around the exterior, or do you want to do penetrations inside them? Do you just plan to dive some wrecks amongst the coral reef diving many do, or do you plan to take dive trips dedicated to wreck diving? What is it about wrecks that draws you?

Don't purchase anything before OW. In fact I recommend after and trying different stuff out so you only buy once.

Welcome to SB. As a "retired" DM I'm glad to see that you are starting scuba with some "water" experience under your belt. You should do well in the course. You'd be surprised how many people take the OW course who can't really swim and haven't been in any kind of water they couldn't stand in. Even some who take scuba to conquer their fear of the water. Good luck.

Welcome. Before you purchase a full set of gear, be aware many would suggest taking time to get acquainted with more options first.

For example, there's a decent chance the BCD you encounter will be a jacket style BCD. You ought to learn about the BP/W alternative, not because it's better for everyone, but because it's a viable option.

Similarly, a good regulator may cost several hundred dollars, but it does not need to be labeled 'titanium' and priced around $1,500+. But you may want a brand that a local dive shop services, because it's recommended to get them serviced periodically.

For dive computers, some thought should go into wrist vs. console unit, air-integrated vs. not, and where you see your diving going in the future, if practical.

Take each main piece of gear - mask, BCD, regulator, fins and dive computer (I'll skip boots; that's not quite is pivotal), and do some digging on ScubaBoard, read some threads, and see what looks good to you.

When you say 'wreck diver,' do you mean fin around the exterior, or do you want to do penetrations inside them? Do you just plan to dive some wrecks amongst the coral reef diving many do, or do you plan to take dive trips dedicated to wreck diving? What is it about wrecks that draws you?
This board taught me the difference between jacket and BP/W, which I was not aware of yesterday. I went to my local dive shop to ask some questions about gear, and they pointed me strictly towards aqualung jackets and gear. I will have to look more into that.

I like the wrist computers from my limited research, though I may start small with a puck or something similar. My friend has some old scuba gear he can give me, much appreciated but I have a feeling it hasn't been serviced or used in half a decade.

As far as wreck diving, I want to start with just exploring the outside of them but eventually I do actually want to explore inside. I have been fascinated my whole life by wrecks and with the vast amount on all sides of the peninsula I figure it won't be hard to find one I can dive to start out.

Don't purchase anything before OW. In fact I recommend after and trying different stuff out so you only buy once.
I have heard different opinions on this, some tell me it's better to train in my own gear and others say that I should make use of whatever is offered to see if I like it before buying.

Welcome to SB. As a "retired" DM I'm glad to see that you are starting scuba with some "water" experience under your belt. You should do well in the course. You'd be surprised how many people take the OW course who can't really swim and haven't been in any kind of water they couldn't stand in. Even some who take scuba to conquer their fear of the water. Good luck.
I'll be the first to admit growing up, and in my teens, I was largely afraid of the ocean and only ever got into any water very rarely. But once in college I started working the beach and instantly fell in love with sailing, boating, surfing. I am really excited to actually get in and under the water. Scuba has always been fascinating to me and I am excited to see how this goes!

I have heard different opinions on this, some tell me it's better to train in my own gear and others say that I should make use of whatever is offered to see if I like it before buying.
You will find that the advice on ScubaBoard is almost universally to rent gear for your initial training, and often for your first diving after training. Anyone recommending you buy before your first class is probably trying to sell you something, rather than giving you the best advice.

This board taught me the difference between jacket and BP/W, which I was not aware of yesterday. I went to my local dive shop to ask some questions about gear, and they pointed me strictly towards aqualung jackets and gear. I will have to look more into that.

Yea they’re just trying to sell you what they have the highest mark up on. Shops should cater to the divers wants and needs and not just point them to one product only. Definitely go to another shop and start looking online at different gear. I switched from a back inflate BCD to a BP/W and would never go back.

Use all the provided gear for the class then start shopping.

Back
Top Bottom