Hi Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention those that try and then find a unknown medical or other reason they can't.

Once thar gear hits water take 50% off.

Yea they’re just trying to sell you what they have the highest mark up on. Shops should cater to the divers wants and needs and not just point them to one product only. Definitely go to another shop and start looking online at different gear. I switched from a back inflate BCD to a BP/W and would never go back.

Use all the provided gear for the class then start shopping.
I was getting that feeling, but also felt like this was someone who knew much more about these things than I did so I should listen. I'll take everything with a grain of salt. I am hearing a lot of praise for the BP/W especially because of the modular design.

I'd echo and recommend just using the provided gear for the class. I went with renting for almost 2 years before I decided which route I wanted to go for some of my gear.
Being in Florida honestly makes equipment rental a breeze. I also thought about buying quality gear here and there and renting what I dont have until I build up to everything I need

Not to mention those that try and then find a unknown medical or other reason they can't.

Once thar gear hits water take 50% off.
I thought the same. I will definitely hold off on gear, I could always get into the water and decide its not for me!

Being in Florida honestly makes equipment rental a breeze. I also thought about buying quality gear here and there and renting what I dont have until I build up to everything I need
That is a good plan after you complete training. No rush.

Often you will be required to bring your own mask, fins, and maybe snorkel to the class. This is ok because a well fitting mask is the first thing you should buy, also mask and fins are usually not available for rent. Buy those before the class.

That is a good plan after you complete training. No rush.

Often you will be required to bring your own mask, fins, and maybe snorkel to the class. This is ok because a well fitting mask is the first thing you should buy, also mask and fins are usually not available for rent. Buy those before the class.
I have from snorkeling, I went to my local dive shop to inquire and they told me that a snorkel kit would not suffice and I would need a scuba mask that will release pressure and fins that are larger than those I use for snorkeling. Sound right?

Welcome to the board! I’m new here as well. I did OW cert in Islamorada last October. Here in Utah, you could spend a lifetime and never hike all the canyon and mountain places. In Florida, between the Gulf, the springs, the Keys and the Atlantic, you have a lifetime of exploring to do. I envy you.

With a lot of help from this incredible group, I purchased all my gear. But I have no LDS to rent from so I had no choice…not that I’m complaining.😀Hope your OW cert goes well. You are in really good company here.
Edit: Supply chain worries, as the weather starts to warm, was another factor that motivated me to buy now rather wait a few months. But that may be an unfounded concern. I have two dives scheduled Friday to try my new stuff.

It also makes buying lightly used, high-quality used gear a breeze. Some gear, such as a BP and harness, will last decades. You could probably find used regs, too, and then have them restored to like-new operating condition by a reputable local shop. With a local seller, you can inspect before you buy.

I went to my local dive shop to ask some questions about gear, and they pointed me strictly towards aqualung jackets and gear.

I have heard different opinions on this, some tell me it's better to train in my own gear and others say that I should make use of whatever is offered to see if I like it before buying.

I was getting that feeling, but also felt like this was someone who knew much more about these things than I did so I should listen.
On the 1st and 3rd bits, be mindful people tend to speak in terms of what they know and have good experience with. It's true dive shop people have a rep. here for being apt to point you at what they sell, and I'm glad you're aware. Before we right people off as exploitative sociopaths or some such, let's also be aware that may be what they have good experience with. AquaLung is a reputable brand name in dive gear; it's also one of many.

The 2nd bit is what you run into when competing interests collide. Yes, it's good to dive a consistent set of familiar gear, and that generally means having your own set. You know where things are (e.g.: a rear dump valve), how your dive computer works, how things fit, etc...

It's also true that buying a set you won't be happy with and paying again to replace it in 4 or 5 years is awful.

There are some things worth having your own; if you wear unusual sizes (e.g.: like my size 15 feet) or are a difficult fit in some way (e.g.: some of us have trouble with leaky masks), you may find more things worthwhile to own.

A dive computer is a nice thing to own, because interfaces aren't consistent, and I suspect a rental isn't likely to have a nice, intuitive graphical menu interface (disclaimer: I'm guessing; haven't rented a dive computer).

A mask that you know from experience seals well for you and you're happy with.

Maybe a wetsuit. Shopping for these can get tricky. When I shopped, I discovered the Henderson brand had different neoprene product lines. They had cheap, low stretch problems they didn't even use their brand for, calling them NeoSport. That worked fine for my dive boots, but even the 2XL hood feels like my big head is getting squeezed. Then there was the Thermoprene line, which was a good deal stretchier, and what I bought. Finally, there was the AquaLock line, the stretchiest but very expensive (I bought a 2XL hood; snug, pulls my lower jaw, acceptable).

So a dive computer and mask are fine 'own gear' options after certification (get certified and see if this is something you're going to continue in). I've used rental BCDs a couple of times; it's not a big deal.

P.S.: While BP/W being modular makes it every customizable, you have to make a number of choices with it. AL or steel (or other) backplate, single piece webbing vs. deluxe harness, decide on a lift capacity for the wing, whether you will focus your rig on single tank diving or want it ready for doubles, etc... It doesn't have to be real complicated, but if you want to know your options well, it may be.

You will find many Youtube videos on equipment reviews and recommendations. My biggest suggestion is take it slow and research each purchase so you only make it once. The equipment lasts a very long time if maintained well, and since this stuff keeps you alive, most divers maintain it very well. This makes used gear readily available. As mentioned above, a good mask is a must. Don't pay too much attention to one manufacturer over another as they all make quality masks, spend your time ensuring it is a comfortable fit and a good seal. Your snorkel mask and fins will not work in most cases, but scuba mask and fins work just fine for snorkeling. I have a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro fins that have served me well over the years and most would suggest these as well. Booties come in many shapes and thickness, your local shop will have a quality pair that will work, I could recommend some but my diving is different from yours and you will gravitate to the ones you like in the future, so for now I would not spend alot of time or money on deciding which booties to get. After that, wait till you start diving then I would suggest a computer. You will see many recommedations on SB. If you have the funds the Shearwater Perdix AI will grow to whatever diving you want to do in the future. I originally purchased a Suunto AI computer and am now upgrading to the Perdix. I wish I had just spent the extra $ and got the Perdix. SB has an equipment forum that you should review for each piece of equipment you are researching. After the computer I would suggest a wetsuit or other exposure suit, this really depends on type of water you will be diving. Regulators and BCD or BPW are the last items to get. You will likely be buying a light, DSMB, spool, slate, and other small items after or during training as well. Lights are a personal choice and look at all your options before buying, so many choices. Don't believe you have to stay with a single manufacturer, a blend will provide you better options and makes for better diving in my opinion. Manufacturers excel at one or two pieces of equipment, the others pieces are OK, but another manufacturer is likely a better fit for you. Welcome to the addiction! You have a great backyard to explore!

Back
Top Bottom