Hi from Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smilies-41093.png

Ok, DrBill has already posted here. Would have worried about him if he'd missed the Username. :D

A Nitrox course would seem much more logical next course, even as good idea as the Rescue course can be.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Rick - You're in Rochester - Brockville's practically in your backyard! (well, probably the same 4 hours it takes me, but compared to down south....)

Don - I've thought about taking Nitrox. I would have taken it already if Blackbeard's offered it (I went on a Blackbeard's cruise a few weeks ago). Might do it before May if my buddy does - am going on a weeklong dive trip with her and don't want my NDLs to be the factor that ends the dive. For my first 40 dives or so it was a non-issue: air and NDLs ended my dives at the same time. Only recently have NDLs ended it (on deeper dives, obviously). I will take Nitrox at some point this summer as well (still want to take Rescue though - not an either/or thing). Thanks for the tips about posting on the board.

Cheers, Katy

bikinichick:
Rick - You're in Rochester - Brockville's practically in your backyard! (well, probably the same 4 hours it takes me, but compared to down south....)

.............[snip].............

Cheers, Katy

Yup, it's about 4 hrs, depending on the boarder crossing. I plan on making it up there at least twice this season. The shop I work with does a few charters each year with Seeway Vision

Yep, Nitrox would be very beneficial on many of the Thousand Island wrecks as well as on your travels - especially with ladies often having better gas usage rates. I dived with a nice fellow from Quebec as a boat pick bud on a Florida wreck last November, and we ended the dive with lots of gas left over as he crowded his Ndl. BTW, in Key Largo, you can get the course & card for $99 USD, 3 hours class, complete - a much better deal than I got when I did it.

I once did dives from a 8-pack boat off of Cozumel and all of us did one Nitrox tank a day for the 3 tank plan. That made dive planning so much more rewarding - not having to adjust boat plans to accommodate the air divers.

Blackbeards just barely fits normal diving instructions any more. They're cheap, which is about their only appeal other than location. Old boats, no nitrox when I did one a couple of years ago anyway, etc. I had a flu relapse on my trip that ruined my part, but there were a number of things about them I didn't like if one can afford better. I guess it is good that they're there for those who cannot.

Rick - checked your link - sounds good they go to all the usual suspects.... America, Lily P, Keystorm, Muscellonge, etc... OMG I'm getting excited - only 3 more months! Brockville just kicks it, end of story.... !!

Don - you're right, I am due for Nitrox, my consumption is good, in line with other women who have been diving a few years. I plan to get it as soon as I need to: I don't want to be that one person who has to be accomodated.
I only partially agree re: Blackbeard's, I LOVED it, that said, money is a big object. For me, it's dive Blackbeard's and have money left over for all the other trips I want to take (both down south and locally) or do I blow it all on a comfy trip? I chosethe former and was happy. As long as you're willing to rough it, there's no beating BB for value.

Thx for the tip about the shop in FL - if I'm there I'll look into it!

Cheers, Katy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom