Hi I'm new here and new to diving. Ear Equalization help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a new diver and am currently taking working on my open water cert. I've been in a pool that goes to 13 feet and all 3 pool sessions I have had trouble equalizing my left ear. I have kinda odd ear canals that go near vertical and allergies. It does get painful but, not excruciating. My Dive instructor has recommended decongestants leading up to the ocean dive but, I have a feeling it's more related to air pockets I can't get out of my ear.

Any suggestions and I am curious on the diving vented ear plugs and if that might be a possible solution. Thanks for the help!

Often people wait too long before trying to equalize. If you feel any pain, it's WAY too late. Start before your head goes under. Do it again at 1-2 ft, etc. Do NOT descend further if you feel inward pressure -- either pause there or ascend slightly and try again. Some people with problematic canals have reported that tilting their head to one side or the other helps as they equalize.

I am a new diver and am currently taking working on my open water cert. I've been in a pool that goes to 13 feet and all 3 pool sessions I have had trouble equalizing my left ear. I have kinda odd ear canals that go near vertical and allergies. It does get painful but, not excruciating. My Dive instructor has recommended decongestants leading up to the ocean dive but, I have a feeling it's more related to air pockets I can't get out of my ear.

Any suggestions and I am curious on the diving vented ear plugs and if that might be a possible solution. Thanks for the help!

I have allergies that result in congestion and I take Zyrtec-D daily. That’s the good stuff with pseudoephedrine that you have to sign for at the pharmacy. Do you take anything for your allergies currently?

If you don’t want to try stronger neds, the neti pot or sinus rinse bottle works well for me in conjunction with Flonase (OTC nasal spray). I used this on a recent trip to MX as pseudoephedrine is illegal there.

Ear Shield and the head tilt method work for a lot of people. Worth a try! Also, since you know it's an issue going in, gently start equalizing well before you get in the water. Good luck!

1660923977361.png

Wiggle your jaw while swallowing

Often people wait too long before trying to equalize. If you feel any pain, it's WAY too late. Start before your head goes under. Do it again at 1-2 ft, etc. Do NOT descend further if you feel inward pressure -- either pause there or ascend slightly and try again. Some people with problematic canals have reported that tilting their head to one side or the other helps as they equalize.
Agree with this, and will add that because my ears are often slow to equalize, I will do some equalization exercises (usually Valsava) while I'm on the boat or while gearing up on shore. Always not too long or too much pressure. Seems to help some.

Decongestants (even over the counter) can really help if taken in time before (but not so far ahead that it might wear off while at depth, possibly creating a problem on ascent). For me it also helps to have a little water to drink before I splash, so that my throat is not so dry while I'm trying to swallow to help equalize.

I'll also add that I usually tell the DM that my ears are slow, both so the DM knows why I'm likely taking longer to get to depth, and also so that if there's a current the DM knows that we might need more runway before I can get down to the reef.

Like Huey Long said about voting: do it early and often.
I regularly equalize when I'm at the surface to make it easier for when I dive. Normally just wiggling my jaw when it is fully extended helps a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom