Hi I'm new here and new to diving. Ear Equalization help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the responses! I have started a decongestant last night since my dives are on sat, sun. I will try the head tilting method and equalizing at the surface and 1 -2 feet in. It's great there are active forums with helpful individuals. Cheers and thanks for the tips!

you know how when you are driving through mountains and your ears pop? yawning helps with that and it does underwater too. Just something else to consider. Good luck!

The other advice I will give you is to slow down the descent! The slowest diver sets the pace of the dive. I can't believe your instructor recommended meds before changing the pace. This is irresponsible and dangerous.
The problem with meds is that until you know how they react with you underwater and how long they last are that they can wear off midway through the dive. If that happens you risk a reverse block that can, in extreme cases, do severe and permanent damage.
Equalizing early and often is also key but if you know you have weird physiology, that needs to get checked by an ENT because meds may not do anything to correct it.
If it took a student 10 minutes to descend to 20 ft that's what it took. I would never recommend meds to a new diver on their first dives.

On the topic of antihistamines, I never liked taking them before diving because they sometimes made me feel a bit lightheaded after a descent. I found that when I was having congestion problems related to allergies, straight saline nasal spray worked better but I had to use it for a day or two prior. If you are having trouble clearing, pushing harder only makes it worse and you'll take yourself out of diving for at least a day by trying too hard. I did a dive with a few friends, one was having problems on the descent with a new CCR so I went back to the surface with him, went back down and through a crunchy tight part of the cave with lots of ups and downs, going fast to try to catch up with the other two divers. I got down to where the big passage begins, I could see their lights, but I just could not descend the additional 20 feet no matter what I did, totally locked up!

No one has mentioned that there are several different ways to equalize, not just holding your nose and blowing (Valsalva), which does NOT work well for everyone and can be injurious to your eardrum if you blow too hard.

I just realized, sitting here, that I've been moving my lower jaw to equalize and that I also press my tongue on the roof of my mouth. Who knew? Its so autonomic. I can also do it with only neck muscles.

I just realized, sitting here, that I've been moving my lower jaw to equalize and that I also press my tongue on the roof of my mouth. Who knew? Its so autonomic. I can also do it with only neck muscles.
Looks like you are using BTV, the best equalising method, which does not require to pinch nostrils.
Unfortunately, in my experience, only 1 diver over 5 can reliably perform BTV.

Looks like you are using BTV, the best equalising method, which does not require to pinch nostrils.
Unfortunately, in my experience, only 1 diver over 5 can reliably perform BTV.
Honestly, I'm struggling with hands free equalizing methods now that I'm on a rebreather (note: it is only after switching that I've been trying alternatives to Vasalva. CC vs OC is no different, just less access to my nose on CC).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom