Hi, Newb here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rxtuner(fc3s)

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone!

I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I am a new Scuba Diver and recently got my open water certification about 2 months ago. I have roughly 10 dives under my belt and in VERY different conditions.

Anywho, I have always been interested in vintage gear. I don't want to jump into the in depth stuff too fast but I have a VERY nice condition Seaquest Deep Water Horsecollar BC that I have always wanted to use. I've been a fan of the Horsecollar style BC's even before I started diving. I used them for snorkeling and liked them.

But here are some pictures of it. I understand it doesn't have a dump valve w/ a rip-chord on it but I'm wanting to just use this on small dives in the pool or shallow lakes to brush up on skills. Not take it on deeper dives and such.

Pictures don't do it justice. It's SUPER clean and no rips, tears, discolorations in the fabric on the outer shell or the bladder. Holds air for several days w/o leaking. Yellow w/ a blue outer ring on the sides.

1204090227.jpg

1204090228.jpg

But I would like to buy another if anyone knows any sources to obtain one. I would REALLY like to get my hands on the A.P. Valves buddy line like the "Pacific" or "Double Gold" to use and dive w/ on deeper and longer dives.

Anywho, just wanted to stop in and say hello. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I'll have to get a backplate harness to use it and a weight belt w/ weights but I understand most do not like diving w/ these but I want to try it out for myself.

-Allen

Hi man. Understand that this BC is easily as useful and functional as any other BC provided that you service it or have it serviced. It does have an overpressure (it's the thing on the other size of the co2 cracker), and it will not explode or otherwise function weird at depth. If it does not have a pull cord on it, that really doesn't matter. The over pressure is spring loaded, so if the gas expands too far (Boyle's law works both ways right?) then it will simply vent at the point in which the pressure of the gas overcomes the rate of the spring. If you really felt so moved, you could just buy a modern overpressure valve with a pull cord and put it on that BC, the thread size has been universal for a looong time.

Beers,

S

Welcome to the board and to vintage diving.
As long as that BC is in good condition, holds air and the LP inflator works (and that can be replaced) there is no reason at all not to dive it any time, any where, on any dive. There is no need to restrict it to shallow dives other than your own experience. The only dump you need is the LP inflator itself, that is what all BCs had until the dump valve wars between the BC manufacturer started, why on earth anyone needs 4 or 5 dump valves is beyond me.....besides if you really want to learn vintage diving, most of us do not use BCs at all unless forced to by a dive op (see Slonda's photo above). I do recommend you either plug the CO2 port with a spent (or new CO2 ) cartridge or IMO the best idea is to plug it with a 3/8 port plug. Get yourself one of the try double hose diving packages from Vintage Double Hose, find a local vintage buddy and go dive.

By the way, that BC is mid to late 80s at the oldest. Not really vintage but it's still old style.....Ron, will let him dive with us with that new fangled stuff on. :)

It appears to have a pull dump elbow on the hose assembly. I really don't like them and just use the dump valve on the hose mouthpiece end

Hey Jim,

I recently got one of those hose collars. If you trim it up right and sew a good patch on it, it certainly looks like a black USD horsecollar.

I like the power inflator on the USD horsecollar better. Shame the USD bladders don't hold up.

Hey Ron,

Do you have any of those old USD inflators or overpressures laying around? If you do I will see if they fit on my newer horse collar.

No, I wish I did. I want to use one of the inflators as a manual add on one of my rebreathers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom