Hi, Newb here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses everyone! Yeah I used the seatquest that my local dive shop provided when I went to curacao and never once used the pull dump valve. I velt quite comfortable in managing my buoyancy as we spent a lot of time practicing it during my certification. I didn't panic and could tell even "blipping" the inflator that if it didn't respond right away... it would and I didn't just cram air into my BC everytime I needed to adjust @ depth.

from my "1st" open water dive in the ocean. Curacao for 2 weeks! haha. :) A dive vacation that was awesome!

DSC_0235-2.jpg

8417_271237395214_647090214_8809008.jpg

I even guided a couple as it helped w/ navigating and I didn't mind towing the buoy at all. Fought some really bad currents on one dive and it was a learning experience.

8417_271237340214_647090214_8809000.jpg

8417_271246760214_647090214_8809201.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

I'd love to try double hose diving but we'll see. lol.

Wow man, you sound like you might be a good diver. That's pretty rare nowadays, so good on you (not that you need my validation, who the hell am I anyway :wink:)

BTW, for modern diving, avanti quattros kick BUTT! I have some in Kawasaki green.

Congrats on your find.

BTW, the BC you have does have a pull dump, it is incorporated into the corrugated hose. Pull down on the hose and a wire inside pops the valve up at the elbow and dumps. I don't particularly like that type (of dump) but it works.

N

Picture143-1.jpg

Welcome to the club Allen.

One tip would be to adjust the straps so it is just snug when standing up. If it is too loose the HC will float up around your head and not lift you on the surface properly. A little trial and error will find the sweet spot then it will serve just as well as a modern BC. Since I set up my BP/W for twins I prefer this rig for single tank dives, even in cold water. I will be diving it this Sunday in fact. Air temps predicted to be 32*F:

Picture162.jpg

Dale, I have to hand it to you man. Lately you have epitomized streamlined! I recall pictures of you COVERED in tech gear not too long ago. That is an enviable setup man!

You have to admit that the oval mask, in addition to being super comfortable, is about as cool as it gets.

Welcome to diving, the Board, and especially to vintage diving. Diving is fun, but vintage diving rocks!

Wow man, you sound like you might be a good diver. That's pretty rare nowadays, so good on you (not that you need my validation, who the hell am I anyway :wink:)

BTW, for modern diving, avanti quattros kick BUTT! I have some in Kawasaki green.

Thanks man! Yeah I love my mares fins! Red is kinda sassy and that's why I bought them

Congrats on your find.

BTW, the BC you have does have a pull dump, it is incorporated into the corrugated hose. Pull down on the hose and a wire inside pops the valve up at the elbow and dumps. I don't particularly like that type (of dump) but it works.

N

Wow! I've had this BC for years and didn't even know this. Just inflated it... pulled down on the inflator hose and sure enough it wooshed and deflated. haha. Man. Thanks for the heads up. I really want to dive w/ this now. I think I'll enjoy it very much. I feel more comfortable w/ it knowing that now. But had a local dive shop inspect it and they said it looked great. Power inflator works great and I really want some seat time behind it. Tho... I haven't been diving after returning from my vacation to Curacao back in August and kinda miss it :( I want to dive so bad.

Rxtuner,

If you ever get down to south GA/Jacksonville FL area, I'll dive with you. I have enough vintage gear that is restored to outfit an entire Special Forces team. You can take your pick and we can go diving.

Rxtuner,

If you ever get down to south GA/Jacksonville FL area, I'll dive with you. I have enough vintage gear that is restored to outfit an entire Special Forces team. You can take your pick and we can go diving.

Same goes for me if you hit the Raleigh area, always happy to introduce a diver to vintage diving and like Ron, I have plenty to choose from.

Bumping this thread only because I would still like to meet up with some of you and dive. I in fact have acquired a Buddy "pacific" ABLJ bcd that is in much nicer condition ( I bought it brand new from AP Valves). I was actually going to sell it time back but have dove with it and I am not letting it go. I love it. Anywho... I have the itch to dive and if some of you that posted before still want I would like to meet up and dive. I would like a new site or so, maybe a quarry or spring?!?! Anywho... post up if interested. I'd like to dive my BP and horse collar BC @ a nice and new location with some vintage members and not be the odd ball out when looking to dive. Tho it is bright pink and I have lime green fins. I have a funny humor when it comes to gear color choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom