Hi! Newbie here hooked on diving. How does this gear wishlist look?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
You didn't specify, but I would recommend a hooded vest or a drysuit-cut hood rather than a thick hood with the awful shroud you have to try to tuck into your collar.
theskull

I haven't thought of diving with a dry suit hood with a wet suit. But it sounds like an interesting idea. My big concern is water going down my neck. Isn't this a problem with the drysuit hood?

I too want to get away from tucking the hood in, and I'd just about decided on a hooded vest till I saw this post.

Rent. Borrow. Try many different setups.

I didn't buy reg and BCD until after....I think dive 30. I was better off for it, as I didn't go through so many iterations of replacing things that just didn't work out for me.

That said, the one item in your list I'd say you'd be least likely to outgrow or change your style so much you'd ditch it, would be an Atomic Z1 or Z2. Good reg.

I have to 2nd the recommendaiton of the Suunto compass. No other compass comes close. You will very much appreciate it when you take a navagation class. I dive with a hooded vest and like the hyperstretch type. You can get stuck in a hooded vest. :wink:

BSea:
I haven't thought of diving with a dry suit hood with a wet suit. But it sounds like an interesting idea. My big concern is water going down my neck. Isn't this a problem with the drysuit hood?

I too want to get away from tucking the hood in, and I'd just about decided on a hooded vest till I saw this post.

You will have less water leaking in around the neck with the drysuit hood than you do with the shrouded hood jammed in around your neck seal, providing your wetsuit neck fits well. Plus you get a lot more ability to turn your head comfortably!

I wear a 5 mm drysuit hood for the coldest dives I'm willing to do in a wetsuit, and have a 2.5 mm hooded vest for the dives just cool enough for a hood.

theskull

I have the Brigade, love it. I also have the Oceanic Versa Pro (same as Aeris Atmos 2) and love it as well. A few pieces of advice though.

1. Mask/Fins/Booties need to be purchased locally. Fit is everything here, buy what fits, not what costs the most because you think it's better. I was surprised to see these on your list as you are already certified.
2. If possible, wait. I bought some gear I will now be replacing, fortunately it didn't add up to too much money.
3. You need to make sure you can service your gear locally. You might just need to get gear serviced in a hurry one day.
4. Don't buy everything online. Yes it is cheaper, but if you are going to be utilizing the services/facilities of a LDS you really need to support them. At least buy the tank, weights, and accessories there. Also give them a chance to match ScubaToys or at least get close. If they get close, go with them.

I am really lucky to have ScubaToys as a LDS, and I have bought the majority of my gear from them. But there is also another LDS within walking distance that I try to give as much money to as possible on things that are close. I've bought things like a tank, accessories, annual services, and such from them since they see me far more often than ScubaToys. It's not uncommon for them to throw me a freebie every now and then either, keep this in mind.

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

I'm definitely going to do some purchasing at my LDS, namely my mask, tanks, and other accessories. As much as I'd like to though, I just can't afford anything significant there as the prices are just too high.

As for not having the fins, mask, etc., I did my open water in Honduras on vacation, so I didn't have a chance, nor was I required, to have my own gear in any way, shape or form.

I hope to start buying some gear in the next week. I did make my first "dive-oriented" purchase last night. I bought a Casio G-Shock watch to use as a backup bottom timer. It's an incredibly solid watch, looks pretty cool, and didn't break the bank. It also has a nifty feature that automatically turns the light on when I angle the the watch towards my face. Next up will be mask, fins, bcd, reg and wetsuit, followed shortly thereafter by a wrist computer/analog spg setup.

Again, thanks for the help everyone! Keep the comments coming if you like!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom