Hilma Hooker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im going to have to have a look see for myself in July too!
When does it start to get busy there-I would just as soon avoid a crowd...? :11:

DivingGal:
Shuzbut, Erikharwell... that's what I was going to ask. It's amazing the number of folks that dive her, yet never notice that the name on the boat is not "Hilma Hooker".

(And no fair for those of you who are Bonaire regulars)

And amazing how many times we dive her and fail to notice.

Since we're all going to be there in July lookin fer the nameplate -- i hope some wiseass doesn't paint it over in June :crafty:

herman:
:05: Hummm, well I am going to have to look next chance I get.....lets see that's 45 days away. Come on July!

i'm gonna be there June 30, so i'll probably beat you to it.

i am leaving on july 7th. if our days cross, let's try to
get together if at all possible!

ditto drewpy and rjchandler

it would be hard to paint it on there, it is welded in steel on the bow of the ship. it has a fair amount of growth on it so it is kinda hard to read, but it is visable. I would suggest taking a boat trip to it, you will get more bottom time because you wont have to do that long swim.

erikharwell:
it would be hard to paint it on there, it is welded in steel on the bow of the ship. it has a fair amount of growth on it so it is kinda hard to read, but it is visable. I would suggest taking a boat trip to it, you will get more bottom time because you wont have to do that long swim.

If you lay on your back and surface swim out to the edge of the reef, you drop down at an angle and can get just as much bottom time out of a beach dive as the boat dive on the hooker.

Between last year's trip and this year, got about 6 dives on the Helma.
The Helma is sort of a memorial to our group. We lost a friend two years ago. He had a heart attack on the surface going out to the wreck.

This year we did the Hooker from the boat as we had several physically challenged divers with us who could not make the beach access.

The tarpon and large eel seem to hang out there most of the time.

Hooker is fun dive.

Back
Top Bottom