Hiring a guide/coach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kinda was thinking the same thing, but came to the conclusion that when they are ready to hit the caves by themselves, they will know it and will do so.

I agree.

I also think making minor mistakes (on your own) is one of the best ways to hone your technique. Getting the self awareness and cave awareness to know what's working and what is not is key to progress. What works for one diver (an instructor/mentor) may be a fruitless head banging exercise for another to try.

I also think making minor mistakes (on your own) is one of the best ways to hone your technique. Getting the self awareness and cave awareness to know what's working and what is not is key to progress. What works for one diver (an instructor/mentor) may be a fruitless head banging exercise for another to try.

Very true.

I think your reel work will improve with more experience diving in the environment. Why spend money on a new instructor when you could be practicing the skills you learned in your cavern and cave class by just diving in Florida with a reel?
I get the feeling they are looking for a more formal mentoring, it's easy when you're local to dive with more experienced people, but I imagine the price of a guide to "show you the ropes" is well worth it when traveling far, it's a money multiplier.

With something like a reel, it just has to be done. An instructor could lay the line but that just means less reel work for the student. It is my personal experience that dives are safer and more fun without instructors around :) Just get down there and lay the line! Peter knows what i'm talking about.

What I'm mostly worried about is building bad habits through bad practice. If somebody can watch me and give me some pointers about my reel work, and about negotiating the high-flow caves, they may save me a lot of time trying to solve the problems by myself, and possibly never coming up with optimal answers.

We definitely intend to do some non-instructed dives as well!

I know Clare and Rich offer training days in the UK, so I would have thought most instructors would be willing to do the same.

Although when I was trying to develop some skills, just going diving with more experienced divers helped me.

What I'm mostly worried about is building bad habits through bad practice. If somebody can watch me and give me some pointers about my reel work, and about negotiating the high-flow caves, they may save me a lot of time trying to solve the problems by myself, and possibly never coming up with optimal answers.

We definitely intend to do some non-instructed dives as well!
Well, if that is what you are looking for.................pm me when you get down here. I'll dive with you.

yeah, most instructors will

talk to GDI ... dude's about as good as it gets

ok, so he's a Canadian .. but ok ... nobody's perfect

Do I thank you for that? BTW I am also an American you Cuban:D:

I can't see an issue with any instructor down here doing that with you. Don't know how much they would charge though for their time.
I think GDI would for sure , and Jim Wyatt as stated before.

Watch out for Rick (GDI) though , he IS DEVIOUS !!! :D
(Had him for Full Cave , we had FUN in the Mud Tunnel in Ginnie )

Ah Yes the Mud Tunnel:rofl3:

Lynne Both Jim and I will do guide tours and refresher training. I usually ask for a donation to the NACD and thats all.
You are correct to want to practice under assessment as poorly practiced skills can be just as bad as having no skill at times.

Andy; Jeano lets go visit that mud tunnel together for some reason I feel My frog kicking needs to be worked some more and thats a good spot to work it:eyebrow:

I'm NOT a cave diver, but it seems that if someone is willing to pay for tutoring from "an expert" in any particular diving discipline, then I think the money would be very well spent. That is; as long as you hire the appropriate expert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom