History behind Dive computer error mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you're lying, or simply ignorant, but this statement is false. Kindly stick to whatever it is that you know.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable statement to me.

Reactions: Jax
If I ended up in deco trying to save a buddy, & later messed up a 12m deco stop, would i expect even my DC to snobishly abandon me at that moment too? Thx
B

Geez, just get certified and go do some shallow diving already! Quit making up all these ridiculous scenarios about things you don't even understand.

to clarify i am a novice diver, and the only experience i have in deco is on divepal
but i did trigger the error text 'Er' at a 9m ceiling (following a uncontrolled ascent violation after 40min at 50m using twin tanks on the simulator)......
I am glad we could help with our simulators .... at least you did not get hurt....:D

Do NOT do this in real life :no:

Geez, just get certified and go do some shallow diving already! Quit making up all these ridiculous scenarios about things you don't even understand.

As I explained elsewhere here, I have been freedivjng for years. I didn't start scuba to be able to enjoy sea life, I can enjoy it better freediving. Indeed if you learned scuba to enjoy the sea & marine life, I guarantee you, with proper freediving skills & training you yourself would probably abandon scuba completely.

I took scuba up as I am fascinated by the science behind scuba , artificial life support and dive computers. To each his own.

Reactions: Jax
When did this become the defacto norm? Essentially the DC is giving you an on screen Darwin award instead of using the computer power available to interpolate a best effort solution.

If I ended up in deco trying to save a buddy, & later messed up a 12m deco stop, would i expect even my DC to snobishly abandon me at that moment too? Thx

What would you want it to do?

Do you mean you blew a 12m stop and got back on the boat, or blew a 12m stop and then did a really long 3m stop?

If it's the first one, I would expect the computer to lock out. In fact, I'd expect it to be all pissed off and not stop beeping, and you should probably get on O2, not worry about if you can do your next dive (you can't).

flots.

I don't know if you're lying, or simply ignorant, but this statement is false. Kindly stick to whatever it is that you know.

Kindly explain to me what agency recommends 50m dives on gasses that don't contain helium. Also, what agency recommends staged decompression with back gas? I said best practices, not that it was impossible to do the dive on air.

What would you want it to do? .

Extrapolate data beyond what was verified safe by navy divers & do its best to get me to the surface, regardless of how many violations I did. After I surface it can lock up all it wants.

Locking mid dive is like having a car refuse to drive because you are a mile over the annual mileage limit for your service interval.

It won't lock up during a dive, it will tell you what depth for how long. If you ignore what it says, you shouldn't be in water any longer and looking for help and a deco chamber on the surface.

PLease show real world examples of ANY PDC simply quitting during a dive because of a violation.

Extrapolate data beyond what was verified safe by navy divers & do its best to get me to the surface, regardless of how many violations I did. After I surface it can lock up all it wants.

Locking mid dive is like having a car refuse to drive because you are a mile over the annual mileage limit for your service interval.

You, personally, need to decide what your course of action should be in circumstances like these. The computer is not in possession of all the facts. You might chose to return to some depth and deco out on whatever gas you have, you might decide to get on O2 on the boat, you might have a chamber to hand, you might not. You have to plan the dive and take account of the actual resources you have.

If you do not like this behaviour buy a computer which behaves differently. I am not worried by it. If I got into that state I'd have a plan and whether it was to fizz on the surface waiting for a helicopter or return to depth and breath all my gas I don't expect the computer's opinion at that point would be the most important thing.

3 minutes above your ceiling is a long time, I'd need a very good reason to let that happen and not many would involve going back down again.

Kindly explain to me what agency recommends 50m dives on gasses that don't contain helium.

No disagreement from me about having at least one deco gas for such a dive; I would think two would be better. But the idea that helium is "best practices" at 50m is simply false. Just one example of several is below.

The PSAI Extended Range Nitrox Diver course is designed for those divers who wish to conduct dives beyond 45 meters (150 feet) but not exceeding 55 meters (180 feet), using staged decompression techniques for both depth and extended bottom times. This course uses air as the primary back gas and nitrox as decompression gas(es).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom