HMAS Adelaide Being Sunk 27th March On Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leaving Sydney this morning:

hmasadelaide2.jpg

hmasadelaide1.jpg

Cheers,
Huw

Yeah...baby! Nice!:D

Awesome shots mate.

From abc.net.au No copyright intended.
If you click on the web address, there is a video as well.

HMAS Adelaide en route to final destination - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

HMAS Adelaide en route to final destination

A decommissioned warship will be scuttled to create an artificial reef on the New South Wales central coast later this week.

Ex-HMAS Adelaide left Glebe Island wharf at 6.10am (AEST) this morning with three tugboats guiding it through Sydney Harbour.

The ship is due to arrive on the central coast today before being sunk off Avoca Beach on Wednesday.

The wreck is expected to become a dive site but local activists are vehemently opposed, saying the ship's lead-based paint will damage the environment.

There are also concerns about the impact on marine life such as humpback whales.

"There's an Aboriginal whale caller who's now here, who's been out with us on the rocks," No Ship Action Group spokeswoman Michelle Meares said.

"We understand it's a breach of the law for the State Government to scuttle the vessel with explosives with humpbacks in the area.

"So we're hoping this senseless sea dumping can be stopped."

But Graham Harding from the Crown Lands Department says the operation has been carefully planned and there will be no single, large explosion.

"These charges will slowly cut their way through the plates of the ship and then the water will come in and it should sink to the bottom - 30 metres - in an upright position."

He says measures have also been taken to protect marine animals.

"We have got spotter aircraft in the sky today from National Parks.

"They are keeping an eye on any animals that might be in the vicinity."

The No Ships Action Group won an injunction against the scuttling a year ago, and then referred the matter to the New South Wales Ombudsman.

But Premier Barry O'Farrell has consistently supported the controlled sinking.

State Minister for Small Business Katrina Hodgkinson says the operation has passed several environmental tests.

"I've heard most recently the comparison between the HMAS Canberra and the Adelaide, the situation between those two ships is extremely different," Ms Hodgkinson said.

HMAS Adelaide served the Navy from 1980 to 2008 including a tour in the First Gulf War

Last edited:
Mate everyone is welcome to come to the Coast and Ill take them diving on her.
Maybe a Scubaboard "Dive the Adelaide Day"

I'll be diving it as soon as our shop get the boat up there.

Decommissioned HMAS Adelaide towed to sea

damn, i didn't know it was today, otherwise i would have got my ass out of bed early. my office has a view directly along its path.

From abc.net.au No copyright intended.
If you click on the web address, there is a video as well.

HMAS Adelaide en route to final destination - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

HMAS Adelaide en route to final destination

A decommissioned warship will be scuttled to create an artificial reef on the New South Wales central coast later this week.

Ex-HMAS Adelaide left Glebe Island wharf at 6.10am (AEST) this morning with three tugboats guiding it through Sydney Harbour.

The ship is due to arrive on the central coast today before being sunk off Avoca Beach on Wednesday.

The wreck is expected to become a dive site but local activists are vehemently opposed, saying the ship's lead-based paint will damage the environment.

There are also concerns about the impact on marine life such as humpback whales.

"There's an Aboriginal whale caller who's now here, who's been out with us on the rocks," No Ship Action Group spokeswoman Michelle Meares said.

"We understand it's a breach of the law for the State Government to scuttle the vessel with explosives with humpbacks in the area.

"So we're hoping this senseless sea dumping can be stopped."

But Graham Harding from the Crown Lands Department says the operation has been carefully planned and there will be no single, large explosion.

"These charges will slowly cut their way through the plates of the ship and then the water will come in and it should sink to the bottom - 30 metres - in an upright position."

He says measures have also been taken to protect marine animals.

"We have got spotter aircraft in the sky today from National Parks.

"They are keeping an eye on any animals that might be in the vicinity."

The No Ships Action Group won an injunction against the scuttling a year ago, and then referred the matter to the New South Wales Ombudsman.

But Premier Barry O'Farrell has consistently supported the controlled sinking.

State Minister for Small Business Katrina Hodgkinson says the operation has passed several environmental tests.

"I've heard most recently the comparison between the HMAS Canberra and the Adelaide, the situation between those two ships is extremely different," Ms Hodgkinson said.

HMAS Adelaide served the Navy from 1980 to 2008 including a tour in the First Gulf War
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I am having visions of Meares trying to convince the whales to form a whale of a barrier:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: or maybe trying to get them to move under the ship to hold it up:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: sorry.. just couldn't resist:)

Yep we will be heading up there to dive it as soon as possible as well.

I'm so sick of the misinformation spread by the NSAG... hopefully this will be the end of it although I doubt it. Take this gem from an earlier article for example:

"(Michelle Meares) said the (ex-HMAS) Canberra (in Victoria, sister ship to the Adelaide) has already tipped from an angle of 3 degrees to an angle of 22 degrees. ''When it gets to 27 or 30 degrees, it will likely tip over and not be able to be used as a diving wreck''

Oh nooo, it's on it's side now you can't dive it any more because everything that's supposed to point up is now pointing sideways and it's too confusing! Idiot

Hi Guys.

I went down to Terrigal Skillion to get some shots of her. Lots of people out today.
The shots and video are not that great but it gives you an idea, plus I think its time for a new camera.
Its on my youtube page, the feature video YouTube - tracyfromoz's Channel

I am not sure if I am going down tomorrow to watch or not, my leg is still pretty messed up and I wont be diving till the end of the month at least.
So if someone does go down and take some shots, please post.
Also if your thinking of going to Terrigal Haven, there are massive barriers up all around the Haven and they are locking them tonight including locking off the entire Skillion itself. So the only area to look thru the gate is the bottom right of the skillion and there is not a lot of room there. Pretty much all ocean is gated off at The Haven. Your best bet if your wanting to watch from Terrigal is walk a bit up the Scenic Highway from the Skillion or take one of the free buses to Avoca. Remember most of Terrigal, Avoca etc will be closed from late tonight and clearways.

Thanks Tracey... Can't wait to dive it... well... as long as it isn't on it's side.. that would be too confusing after all I might swim into a pointy bit! :dramaqueen:

Last edited:
That was cool :thumb:
It makes me think of how our Yukon would have looked awaiting her sinking if she hadn't slipped beneath the waves in the middle of the night , and looks to be aboot the same distance from shore too.
And BTW , her laying on her side has not made her "undivable" in the least :D

And you take care of yourself Tracy :flowers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom