Info HOG Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a new HOG Pro BCD that I want to add Air2 on. The dive shop told me my Oceaqnic Air2 would fit,
but of course, the threads are different. Is there a tread adapter ? or what other Air2 would fit?

Threads on what part?

Do you mean where the corrugated hose attaches to the bladder?
If so, then have your shop leave the original HOG dump-valve, corrugated hose, and pull-wire in place. Just have them replace the HOG "K" inflator with the "head" of the Oceanic Air2 and install the matching style, high-flow air hose on you 1st-stage regulator.

The inflator or "Air2" assembly is attached to the corrugated hose with wire ties or a clamp (maybe some peelable adhesive) and a pin holding the pull-wire inside (accessible once the corrugated hose is pulled back.)

Are you dealing with Divers' Supply by any chance? If so, let's just say that they are very closely tied to HOG and can almost certainly get you sorted out.

Doing do it. Air2 and their ilk are a wrong turn.
While I actually agree for ME, having played with that configuration ...

With a dive count listed north of 1K, I would hope OP has reasonably figured out that it works for them or at least wants to try it.
Also note that this is going on a traditional (stab/poodle) jacket BCD.

I just spent a week at Little Cayman Beach Resort. I asked our boat crew what equipment was the most likely to cause problems I expected an answer like SPG spools or LPI inflator leaking air into the BCD. They responded immediately: "Air2's, of all brands. More than 30% of the people have them, and they nearly always have problems.... bubbling, free-flowing, hard to breath, pretty much everything that could go wrong." They went on to explain that people did not test them, or often even how to use them, for example trying to hand them off to an OOG diver instead of offering their primary, or how to control their buoyancy on an OOG ascent while donating.
Not a good recommendation.

With a dive count listed north of 1K, I would hope OP has reasonably figured out that it works for them or at least wants to try it.
Also note that this is going on a traditional (stab/poodle) jacket BCD.

This is in no way directed at the OP....the dive count listed under one's avatar is not necessarily a true/accurate number and should not be used in one's assessment of a user's/diver's experience. There is no way for the board to verify those dive counts and anyone can select any of the options presented for number of dives.

-Z

Agree with both (with caveats ...)

I just spent a week at Little Cayman Beach Resort. I asked our boat crew what equipment was the most likely to cause problems I expected an answer like SPG spools or LPI inflator leaking air into the BCD. They responded immediately: "Air2's, of all brands. More than 30% of the people have them, and they nearly always have problems.... bubbling, free-flowing, hard to breath, pretty much everything that could go wrong." They went on to explain that people did not test them, or often how to use them, for example trying to hand them off to an OOG diver instead of offering their primary, or how to control their buoyancy on an OOG ascent while donating.
Not a good recommendation.
[Snark-Sarc] But remember, it reduces the number of potential hardware failure points, and according to the received wisdom of of the High SB Illuminati, simpler always beats more-functional ... [/Snark-Sarc]
The "simplified" equipment is more complex to use and (mostly) lower performance than the standard inflator + octo alternatives ... I found it combersome.

This is in no way directed at the OP....the dive count listed under one's avatar is not necessarily a true/accurate number and should not be used in one's assessment of a user's/diver's experience. There is no way for the board to verify those dive counts and anyone can select any of the options presented for number of dives.

-Z
Yep. Garbage in - garbage out, my friend. Lie about your situation - get responses that are not appropriate to reality. The concept of the Darwinn Awards didn't arise out of fantasy, rather empirical observation of the human condition.

Reactions: Zef
They responded immediately: "Air2's, of all brands. More than 30% of the people have them, and they nearly always have problems.... bubbling, free-flowing, hard to breath, pretty much everything that could go wrong." They went on to explain that people did not test them, or often how to use them, for example trying to hand them off to an OOG diver instead of offering their primary, or how to control their buoyancy on an OOG ascent while donating.
Those sound mostly like user problems more than the gear. If you don’t maintain your gear or know how to use it, you’ll have problems.

That said, most AIR devices do have an issue that complicates maintenance. They are stored with the BC. So, even if the diver is meticulous on maintaining their regulator, this may get skipped. As far as I know, only the Zeagles and Atomics are designed to be stored with the regulator, not the BC.

Not for everyone, but they aren’t to the level of split fins. 😉

Those sound mostly like user problems more than the gear. If you don’t maintain your gear or know how to use it, you’ll have problems.

That said, most AIR devices do have an issue that complicates maintenance. They are stored with the BC. So, even if the diver is meticulous on maintaining their regulator, this may get skipped. As far as I know, only the Zeagles and Atomics are designed to be stored with the regulator, not the BC.

Right, they are much worse than split fins. Split fins generally always work and rarely cause you to miss a dive.

If your Air2 fails on a trip:

• You lose your redundant 2nd stage
  • You lose you bc inflator
  • You lose your LP inflation hose since the Air2 uses a non-standard high flow connection
  • Your BC may not be useable due to all of the above
I have seen a lot of these fail on trips as well. I agree that much of the fault lies in a tendency to skip cleaning, rinsing, drying, and servicing them like you do with a reg set.

Some of my friends that prefer them always travel with a spare. They often have to use the spare.

Back
Top Bottom