Hog d1 and d3 pic side by side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone happen to have a pic of the d1 and d3 next to each other for size comparison? I am trying to decide on a set for a doubles setup and I would like to compare sized / where the din fitting is and how much sticks out.

Thanks

the D3 body is thinner than the D1 which is why it looks like it sticks up higher than the D1 on the non LP hose side, it doesn't. On the side of the reg with the LP hose swivels the D3 is slightly longer but it also means that the Din wheel doesn't interfere with hoses when the swivel is rotated. I designed and wanted a reg that routed like a balanced piston, that is why the D3 came to be.

I much prefer the D3 over the D1, I can set up on doubles and have clearer access to the tank valve.

Of course these days I would suggest you look at my Deep 6 regs :)

Last edited:
Here is the Deep 6 First on left (quite close to the D3 with some changes I will address in a sec) and a OLD Salvo 1st on the right which other than the chrome type is the same as a D1. I tried to line up the DIN fittings so you get a better idea, the top part (opposit side of where LP hoses go) is quite large and in my experience will just about half block your tank valve handle, I prefer a cleaner "shot" when doing manifold drills (still possible with the D1 style regs just not as nice IMHO)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VGNEUVVHSWdLdFNMcGV0ek10Mkg1NTY0elVURmtR

Deep 6 regs ship with spare kits and the first service is on us. In the Deep 6 First stage we exclusively use a teflon O ring in the first stage balance chamber along with the HP seat poppet being teflon coated versus chromed, it gives a better response and lower IP swing during the cycle, the diaphragm is also new and more responsive and stronger, the reg is Chrome and PVD coated to be more resistant to corrosion and getting scratched up. The HP ports are 90 degrees, not angled like the HOG D3. The DIN wheel is also metal, not plastic. Oh the DIN cap is pretty sweet and comes with a spare O ring, if you are into yoke the yoke knob is metal not plastic. Deep 6 regs ship in a hard case that is quite useful for whatever you want to use it for.

The deep 6 regs do look interesting, but what is the service model? The main reason I am moving torward Hog's are so I can service them myself once I take the class.

The deep 6 regs do look interesting, but what is the service model? The main reason I am moving torward Hog's are so I can service them myself once I take the class.
the service class it getting approved as I type this at TDI. I am a big fan of allowing people to service their own regs if they so desire. So much so that I was the guy that made it possible when I was running Edge/HOG

I guess I'm going to derail my own post, but since I already got the pic I wanted it is all good. I do like the looks of the deep6 regs, but I have concerns showing up to my AN/DP class with an unproven brand and hearing what the instructor would say. After seeing what you did with HOG, I don't have any concerns with the quality of the regs, but I don't know the financials of the company. My fear is that 2 years from now, you run out of capital and service kits are no longer available, or harder to source and then I'm stuck with expensive paperweights. If the regs were much cheaper than the established brands, I would be more willing to take the risk on them. What do you have in place to address these concerns for folks looking at the deep 6 regulators.

I guess I'm going to derail my own post, but since I already got the pic I wanted it is all good. I do like the looks of the deep6 regs, but I have concerns showing up to my AN/DP class with an unproven brand and hearing what the instructor would say. After seeing what you did with HOG, I don't have any concerns with the quality of the regs, but I don't know the financials of the company. My fear is that 2 years from now, you run out of capital and service kits are no longer available, or harder to source and then I'm stuck with expensive paperweights. If the regs were much cheaper than the established brands, I would be more willing to take the risk on them. What do you have in place to address these concerns for folks looking at the deep 6 regulators.
well if parts are your concern.. even though I use a different HP seat material, coating on the HP poppet and some other changes... the D3 service kit would work.. but I am pretty sure you'll be able to get Deep 6 service kits.

The deep 6 is less expensive, better performing (by a bit) than the D3 and has a more expensive and durable coating (PVD over chrome).

My fear is that 2 years from now, you run out of capital and service kits are no longer available, or harder to source and then I'm stuck with expensive paperweights. If the regs were much cheaper than the established brands, I would be more willing to take the risk on them. What do you have in place to address these concerns for folks looking at the deep 6 regulators.

Seems people had the same concerns about HOG. I am literally a HOG fan due to the processes Chris help put into place for regular guys to be able to service their own gear. I am STILL a HOG fan simply due to the cost and value that you get from the HOG product line. I have no doubt that I will end up with some Deep 6 gear when I start to add additional regs but I am not be in a place to do a wide spread replacement of all my HOG stuff. I would say that with Chris at the helm of Deep 6 you can not go wrong buying that product line.

Have to agree. Chris helped me get an edge part that wasn't really "for sale" separately a few years ago. By helped, I mean sent me the part for free. I wouldn't hesitate to buy deep6 from a customer service perspective. I've never really looked at their products in any detail since I'm not shopping for anything right now.

IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG

Back
Top Bottom