Tech/ doubles reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DGX is up in Pompano Beach.

Get another Mk25. Friends are diving them up here on the Great Lakes cold and deep. They seem to be pretty freeze tolerant, especially the Evos.

Reactions: dnh
Regulator technology is quite mature. There are a lot of great options available. Swivel turrets aren't really necessary for back gas and I prefer Apeks DS4 but really any of the options mentioned by others here will probably work fine.

The more important factors are cost and logistics. What are your dive buddies using? What brands are serviced by local dive shops in the areas you frequently visit? Do repairs require special tools? Are spare parts always in stock?

You have MK25/S600 already and it's a good start. Getting another MK25/S600 will be less cost for you. While you may need another reg for decompression anyway.

and no need to set the third reg, with hex key and adjustable wrench you can go back to single anytime you like.

just get additional spares of inflator hose, another octo, and spg with hose and you now have 2 sets of MK25/S600 single for you and your son.

Thank you to @tbone1004 and @RyanT for the mention.

@dnh, if you are interested in meeting up here in Fort Lauderdale / LBTS to discuss your tech progression and goals I would be happy to arrange a time.

Cheers,
Landon

@dnh There are plenty of good choices, but one point in favor of the Mk25 is its light weight. It's common to be head-heavy in backmount doubles. Minimizing regulator weight can help.

[I'm just a lowly rec diver]

My doubles regs are Dive Rite xt1/xt2. No complaints. Had to thread lock the din adapter barrel thing, is all. Mine came loose.

Singles rig is a Hog d1 yoke, Dive Rite xt4's.

Get regs for both varieties of diving. Rekitting every time you switch is gonna get old. Get a full set of doubles regs while the pricing is still fair.

I'm pretty confident that DR xt1/xt4 will be hard to beat. Very nice regs.

Get 3 regs - one more SP to complement what you already have, and 2 Deep6 Signatures. Rotate the sets. If you're getting into tech, 2 regs won't do for long.

Side note, if you're in FL there is no need to look at the outside brands. Deep6 and DiveRite will be my top picks, with a preference to Deep6, as I already own that. Don't look at SP, Apex prices as quality indicators. These brands have a substantial markup in the US market. Plus, with Deep6 or DiveRite you're a few hours away from the actual company HQ. You'll get top notch customer service, reg service kits, etc.

I'll second the recommendation of swinging up the road a bit to Aqui Watersports and talking with @LandonL
You'll have the opportunity to see different regulators from various manufacturers though no different to @RyanT I am quite partial to the Deep6 Signature regulators and I think you'll be quite happy with them
@tbone1004 asking here so the info is available on the board, once and for all!

I've read a few of your other posts speaking very highly of deep6 regs. I currently have Apeks DST/XTX50 x2 (5th port and swivel for sidemount) and although I'm not yet in a position where I need deco stages, I think it may be a consideration in the next year or so. I'm intending to take @rsingler 's reg servicing training when he has some 2024 slots available with the intention of servicing my own regs.

I'm starting to consider additional regs now and I like the idea of having the same ones on all tanks for ease of parts and servicing. I'm between either getting more Apeks regs, or selling my Apeks ones to replace with either deep6 signature or mk19 evo/g260. Scubapro and Apeks are available to me at the same price point as deep6, so there's no cost advantage. Deep6 servicing advantage is mitigated by rsingler's training and parts availability is mitigated by numerous online Euro sellers, scubagaskets.com, and a friend who's a SP reg tech with access to legit SP parts.

Would you (or anyone else with the knowledge) kindly elaborate on the technical reasons that make deep6 a superior choice over Apeks and/or Scubapro when parts, servicing and cost are taken out of the equation?

@rverma, I'll add a few bits on having the same regs across all tanks.

My OCD likes that approach, too. However, from the operational perspective, I like having 2 different reg sets that I can easily identify. If there is a problem with one manufacturer and you have all the regs from that maker, you're out of luck - need to pay attention to all the regs. If you split your regs across 2 manufacturers, only half of your regs will require service. Also, when I have two separate reg sets, I can easily rotate them - one set on the bench, one in flight. Being able to repair two diff makes is also a plus. In my case it is Deep6 (diaphragm) and MK10 (piston). This is probably splitting hair for some folks, but I find it comforting ;-)

I cannot comment on mk19/g260, but Deep6 breathes just as well as mk10/g250 - which is probably one of the best combos. Deep6 advantage is the service and support you get directly from the corporate. Several people on this board are Deep6 management. For us in the US, supporting Deep6 is also a part of the pride. As you're North of the border, you may not have the same feeling.

Finally, if your Apeks are fine, why sell them? You can keep them and get another reg set. Again, my OCD feels you, but I try to fight it as hard as I can. Let's not waste $.

Back
Top Bottom