Older MK25 still good enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveVenture

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the opportunity to buy a double set with tanks, wing, and regulators. For a pretty reasonable price (around 900 dollar).

The wing and tanks look really good (Mares XR, 300 bar tanks with modern valves). The regulators set I have identified as:

- MK25 AF from somewhere between 2002-2008 (based on schematics)
- MK25 TIS from 2001 (piston cap does not have the AF fins), but the DIN knob seems to be newer, so probably converted to DIN at a later stage.

So these are pretty old, on the other hand the internals are very similar to newer models as far as I understand. They made small changes over the years, of which some are backwards compatible like the newer springs.

Both stages have been used only in fresh cold water, and have probably not seen continuous use.

Set needs servicing, as the guy has not been diving for a while.

I don't intent to do very serious technical diving with this set, I'm getting started and it seems like a nice deal. What should I lookout for?

Scubapro regs are almost eternal. I am still diving my MK5 first stages, 4 of them were built in years 1976-1980. All parts for servicing are still readily available.
The MK5 is currently the top fist stage in the SP line, you can rebuild them with the latest parts, making them virtually "as new".
I would buy the set without any concern!
Which second stages are coupled with the MK25? If they are G250, you are fully set!

Scubapro regs are almost eternal. I am still diving my MK5 first stages, 4 of them were built in years 1976-1980. All parts for servicing are still readily available.
The MK5 is currently the top fist stage in the SP line, you can rebuild them with the latest parts, making them virtually "as new".
I would buy the set without any concern!
Which second stages are coupled with the MK25? If they are G250, you are fully set!
Yeah I kinda figured the same, especially since much of the internals can be upgraded to newer parts (composite piston?). Second stage is an S600 and cheaper R380, not ideal but should suffice for now. I can always sell this set in a later stage and get something even better?

Yeah I kinda figured the same, especially since much of the internals can be upgraded to newer parts (composite piston?). Second stage is an S600 and cheaper R380, not ideal but should suffice for now. I can always sell this set in a later stage and get something even better?
I doubt know about a composite piston. Maybe you mean the coated EVO spring?

All my stage regs have used Mk25 first stages, and even one started out as a Mk20. They work just fine, one was mistreated the worst and now has the composite piston and the blue XTIS spring. But the rest have whatever piston that was in there.

Back
Top Bottom