Hog regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one on a newly-purchased deco bottle. Have yet to use it in the water, but it looks and routes great. I have similar first stages on my back gas regs.

can i buy parts to service them myself? if yes, where and for how much?

Yes, once you successfully complete the Edge/HOG Equipment Service course you can purchase annual service kits for your regulators from any Edge/HOG dealer. How much will be up to each dealer but they shouldn't be any more than most other kits. To take the class you'll have to be: (a) at least 18, and; (b) hold a technical level diver rating, and; (c) a nitrox diver rating, and; (d) own at least one set of Edge/HOG regs.

It's a TDI course, the first batch of instructors is just finishing up their training and the paperwork is being processed.

I just got two firsts and two seconds. I'll tell you my impression as soon as I get them wet! :D

So far, I like the look, finish and feel of them.

Let me start with full disclosure: I work part-time for a dive shop that carries Edge/HOG gear, as an instructor and service technician. I'm a manufacturer-trained service tech for Aqualung/Apeks, ScubaPro, Atomic, Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis, Zeagle, Mares, Sherwood/Genesis, and some others and I'm one of the newly minted TDI Edge/HOG Equipment Service instructors. I also like sitting in front of a nice fire on a cold winter day and long walks in the park...

Mostly, I'm a technical diver with a fondness for the deep, cold wrecks of the Great Lakes so my gear has to meet performance criteria far beyond what most divers need. I've been diving a HOG D1 with the cold-water kit and a HOG second stage for most of the summer. Originally, I put the set on a 70ft deco bottle and was pleased enough with it's performance to move it to deeper and deeper bottles. Recently it has been on a 190ft bottle a couple of times and it has performed flawlessly. It's very easy to breathe, even at 190ft, and has held up to the beating all my gear gets without complaint.

I've taken more than a handful of them apart and can testify that they are well made. The machining and plating have been flawless and, if you can forgive the 1st stage turret, there are no gimmicks in the engineering. Whatever you may think about turrets - I got used to them long ago when I bought a couple of the highly-rated ScubaPro MK20s - they do make hose routing a non-issue pretty much no matter what kind of configuration you're using. So far the only time I've had a problem with mine was when I accidentally left a heat gun blowing super-heated air at it :bonk: and I deformed the 2nd stage faceplate a little bit - it still works, however. cerich knows his stuff and he's providing a terrific regulator at a dazzlingly low price.

Most people have three priorities when selecting a regulator: performance, price and reliability. HOGs are front of the pack when it comes to performance (if you can't read an ANSTI loop profile, all you really need to know is that there are only a few regulators in the same league as the D1), they're inexpensive enough to make you a little giddy, and they are definitely a time-proven design suitable for the stress of cold and/or deep water. Lump in the availability of service training and kits for the DIY repair crowd and, well, what the heck more do you want?

All of that said, I already own a fleet of over a dozen regulators (mostly Apeks, some ScubaPro) and I'm not going to be dumping them on eBay - sorry. I like the HOGs but I've still got a grip on reality. If I was just starting to build a fleet, however, I'd be looking long and hard at the HOGs, they're very good stuff.

That would be great....thanks!

COOL

I'm a little slammed give me today, maybe by noon tomorrow.

COOL

I'm a little slammed give me today, maybe by noon tomorrow.

I'd be curious about that, too, thanks.

I'm using the set I just ordered for deco, however. Trying to figure out the o2 clean thing. Can I use these brand new regs on my 100% bottle (Al.40, so 3000psi max, sometimes lower) or should I just reserve them for my 50% bottle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom