Hog Side Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. Jack of all trades means master of none. A modular switch-out system, utilizing a core harness design, with different wings and choices of ancillaries would be optimal IMHO.

Probably to late in the design phase but this is some of what I would like to see.
Wings could be a:
50 to 55 lbs dual bladder that would provide lift for heavy steels plus stages. It would also fill the requirement for instructors that have to have a dual bladder to teach in and provide enough lift for him and students to get back to the surface.

35 to 40 lbs wing for lighter steels like LP85 with less bulk than the 50 to 55 lbs wing plus enough for few aluminum stages/deco bottles.

20 to 25 lbs very streamline wing for warm water light or no wetsuit diving. Used for aluminum cylinders and maybe aluminum 40 for light tech. It would also double as single tank rec wing and if designed correctly could be a great travel wing.

Harness should be:
Modified Razor style harness with a system to easily change out wing size to fit the type diving you are going to do – the key word in that sentence is “EASILY”. I like the idea of softer webbing for the shoulders and stiffer webbing for the belt.

Weight pocket system that the base system would hold around 16lbs but options to extend to 25 or 30 lbs weight. Weight system should have some sort of pockets to easily adjust your weight especially for using borrowed weights while you travel. Provide a means for trim weights of at least 4 to 6lbs - this stringing hard weight on the harness has to go.

A removable butt plate, I don’t want sit on door handles on the boat ride out to do single tank rec dive. Still need the option for butt plate for diving heavy steel tanks. Also need a couple of back mounted d-rings for SMB and etc.

Sliding d-ring system on the waist belt for aluminum tanks that really works. Pouch solutions to carry all those extra stuff. Way to mount a can light that doesn’t require a longer cord. Optional chest strap, makes easier for stage/deco bottles.

and the Stealth, which has a (IMHO) less than optimal oral inflate tube option.

It's the Razor which has the redundant orally inflated bladder, not the Stealth. It seemed to work OK when I had mine(drills only, never a real emergency).

I agree, however HOG is tech, I'm not aiming at a recreational SM unit with it, so aiming to have enough lift for steels. If somebody is an absolute min. alum 80 SM diver they need to buy one of the many harness systems with a small triangle 8-12 lb lift thing that sits in the small of their back.

The HOG will be fine with alm 80's and stages for tech, steel and stages more than fun recreational "monkey diving" SM

I still on the quest for the perfect single/double wings that works perfect for both and I think in the sidemount world the same holds true for the perfect Aluminum and Steel tank wings. It might be better giving the users a choice between a perfect steel wing and a perfect lighter aluminum wing and let them decided which one is best for the diving they are doing. Then put some research into a harness that the wings can be EASILY switch between the wings so the same harness can be used for single tank rec dive in warm waters or heavy drysuit diving in the northern cold waters. Most sidemount divers that I know have two completely different rigs they use going between warm and cold water diving, it would be nice to have one rig that would do both well not one rig that does both just OK. Just My Thoughts!

If somebody is an absolute min. alum 80 SM diver they need to buy one of the many harness systems with a small triangle 8-12 lb lift thing that sits in the small of their back.

The HOG will be fine with alm 80's and stages for tech, steel and stages more than fun recreational "monkey diving" SM

I know a lot steel tank tech divers from up north visit Mexico and use those couple AL80 for cave diving and I won't call that "Recreational Monkey Diving". All we need in the sidemount world is another SMS100, EXP, Armadillo clone. We need some to think outside the box. Bye....

Seriously I am trying to explain what I'm shooting for, sorry you get offended by it. It will be a lightweight for travel but with enough lift to dive tech. But I am not shooting for a double bladder unit (not really a HOG type product, you'll notice we also don't do a double bladder wing for BM). I like and appreciate you ideas, in fact I am going to give many of them serious thought.

Best,

Chris
I know a lot steel tank tech divers from up north visit Mexico and use those couple AL80 for cave diving and I won't call that "Recreational Monkey Diving". All we need in the sidemount world is another SMS100, EXP, Armadillo clone. We need some to think outside the box. Bye....

Guess I'm holding off on that Stealth purchase until I see what comes out from HOG :D

Actually you may want to consider making the small triangle lift thing. Divers were moaning that Dive Rite discontinued the trim pillow.

Not making a recreational sidemount system. no triangle thing forthcoming.

Back
Top Bottom