Hog Town Motel/Papa Hogs Dive Shop-Any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies, it sounds good to me, I'm not very demanding particularly on the area of accomodation, I've stayed in backpackers and been happy so it should be fine.

Thanks again
Splint

Splint:
Thanks for the replies, it sounds good to me, I'm not very demanding particularly on the area of accomodation, I've stayed in backpackers and been happy so it should be fine.

Thanks again
Splint

If you've been happy with backpacker accommodations then this will be a big step up for you. It's basic, but clean and the people that hang out at Hogtown tend to be divers (whether they are diving with Papa Hogs or not). It's a very casual, laid back sort of place. Breakfasts are ok, lunch is good and happy hour is usually a fun crowd. Good margaritas, cold beer and the best quasadillas and chicken nachos I've had in Cozumel. The cafe closes around 6pm (if I remember correctly). It's a $4 taxi to town.

Not sure if Temptations across the street has reopened yet or not. There's also a small restaurant that serves dinner from 6:30-10pm at Villablanca. I didn't try it when we stayed there in Feb, but it's good to know it's there in case the weather is bad or you're just really tired and don't feel like going in to town.

Have a great trip!

Don't expect a 5-star hotel and you'll be very satisfied. I've used Papa Hogs twice this year and Mike and Margaret and staff do a GREAT job of taking care of your needs and reminding you that you are on vacation and they are there to work so you don't have to. And the Cafe food is as good as anywhere on the island! I'll continue to use them every time I go, which hopefully will be at least a couple of times a year.

I stayed and dived with Papa Hogs back in March, and was very pleased. I will definitely stay with them again.

In researching them, I read some posts about Mike being er.....let's say "less than charming." I am not too picky about little things so I went there anyway and was very happy with them. While Margaret is a charming ray of sunshine, Mike is more reserved. But I like him. I will say that Mike is not an *****-kissing, handholding, sweet-talker. Since I don't really need (or even enjoy) that, I was quite happy. He is professional, knowledgeable, helpful when asked and an interesting conversationalist when you can draw him out. It speaks well for them that most of the other people staying there were repeat customers. Interesting folks too!

Their DMs are good, especially "Monkey". Usually 6 pack boats. They ask the group where you want to dive that day. You can stay in the water until you or your buddy (not the whole group) are low on air. You just walk across the street to get on their boats. The only negative about their excellent restaurant is that they don't stay open late! The food was some of the best I had in Coz, and I tried many different restaurants. Their small number of rooms are not fancy, but clean and comfortable.

As mentioned previously, one of the best things about them is they don't charge you extra for being solo! As a frequent solo traveler, one of the things I hate about most places in the Carribean and Mexico is that almost all of the room rates are for 'double occupancy'. If I am by myself, they want to charge me extra! If I am traveling with a partner, we are together paying twice what ''appears" to be the room rate. That is one of the many reasons I make my longer trips to SE Asia.

Papa Hog's is probably the best value on Cozumel, especially if you are traveling solo.

If you are used to being pampered and like AI resorts.....they may not be to your liking. But if you are there to dive and have fun, you can't beat 'em!

Thomjinx

Thomjinx stated it better than I could have, but I'm glad someone did post on this point.

Mike from Papa Hog has a dry sense of humor and is kind of quiet. When things get disorganized, he can be crabby. But he is a great dude. He's a diver that rides a Harley (that's the Hog in Papa Hog). So he is a very interesting person who is very knowlegable on a wide variety of topics. Talk to him, you'll like him.

Margaret is kind of like your favorite cousin you haven't seen in many years kinda person. If you need help on anything, ask the lady, it works better that way.

Temptations, the rest. across the street is fabulous. The fish burrito they make is like a french crepe with sauce. It is the best. I hope they got back open. If anybody knows, lemme know.

Sounds like a good package, I have opted to do something similar, 7 nights accom. with 5 days of two tank diving using fast boats. I am going in October and am using Paradise Divers and the Barracuda Hotel. The price is almost the same as my g/f does not dive so pays the supplement. Let us know how it is?

Mike and Margaret and the PH staff are great. Everything above is acurate. Mike and Margaret have been recently bitten with the "golf" bug as well. And yes Mike has a nice ride! (Harley) They are on holiday, but should be back in a week or two. But there staff can totally take care of you in there absence. Donnie, who runs the dive shop/equipment is a hoot! The DM's are very professional and fun.

Always good to eat at the cafe. Temptations is still under repair.

Wish them well from Victor & Sara from OKC, and the Cap'n Ron group.

Go Dive.

Vic

We last dove with them in January '05 and the weather wasn't very good. Mike seemed angry and impatient with us for not wanting to dive when the north winds were blowing hard but not hard enough to close the park. Margaret was very understanding. After suffering one miserable day of diving we just didn't want to go anymore until the winds died down to a reasonable level. The diving itself was fine but the 20 minute boat ride back to the dock was unbearable, and getting back into the boat after the dive wasn't easy either. We were on vacation, after all, and I didn't feel the need to suffer in the least. But Mike seemed more concerned about losing our money for the day.

I also didn't care for the way he treated his employees, having them fetch his morning coffee and wash his Harley after it got dirty from riding in circles around the island. In the 15 years or so they've been on the island neither Mike nor Margaret have learned to speak Spanish. I realize you can get by without speaking the language but it seems the least you can do as a respectful local business person. And lastly, for what it's worth, being a Harley-riding diver doesn't make you an interesting person. I ride a Harley and dive, too. So what. The "hog" in the name is literally a groundhog, not a Harley hog.

Having said all that, everything else about the Papa Hogs operation is good. The divemasters and support staff, and Margaret, are all wonderful people. Once you get into the boat and away from the dock (where Mike can't summon you back to get out of the boat and into another boat) everything is great. The hogtown motel rooms are fine. We stayed once in the smallest room they have for about $30/night. Can't beat that. We also stayed once at Villa Blanca and it was fine, too. But given all the competition on the island I see no need to put up with the other irritations.

Last time we stayed at Caribe Blu and it was great. Next time we want to try Casa Mexicana. We enjoy being closer into town where we can walk around to sample all the great restaurants.

Hi Shepman,

"Temptations" was very badly damaged by Wilma and has not yet reopened.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom