Recent Papa Hogs Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hogtown Cafe is great! We stayed at Albatross (upstairs from Papa Hogs) and found it to be too noisy. I wonder if you'd have the same issue. I'm not sure where the Papa Hogs hotel is (also didn't know they had one). There's a bar across from Hogtown and Albatross that honestly doesn't see a lot of customers but plays the music really loud at night when we were trying to sleep. I guess they have some sort of argument going on between them and can't reach an agreement - so they just point the speakers at the hotel and keep the music going really late.

Edit: I was just looking at their website and video. The video must be at least a couple of years old, because the rooftop to the right (south) is now a nice restaurant called Sereno. The website has pics of the rooms but doesn't say where the hotel is located. I'm guessing it's to the left (north) of where Hogtown Cafe is? If that's where it is, it will also get that noise from across the street if the rooms face the street - but maybe they don't. You could call and ask to be sure.

Papa Hogs seems to have good reviews on their Facebook page and on TripAdvisor, but some reviews mention a big fee (something like 16%) to use a credit card, which I don't see on their website -- so you might want to check on that if paying by card.
16% is the tax rate on reported hotel rentals. Years ago I was in a Mexico scuba shop that had a sign on the wall clearly stating that they had to pay the tax on cc sales so there was a 16% surcharge on cc sales.

The Hogtown Cafe is great! We stayed at Albatross (upstairs from Papa Hogs) and found it to be too noisy. I wonder if you'd have the same issue. I'm not sure where the Papa Hogs hotel is (also didn't know they had one). There's a bar across from Hogtown and Albatross that honestly doesn't see a lot of customers but plays the music really loud at night when we were trying to sleep. I guess they have some sort of argument going on between them and can't reach an agreement - so they just point the speakers at the hotel and keep the music going really late.
Is it the restaurant/bar that was Turquoise when Eva (Blue Angel) owned it?

Is it the restaurant/bar that was Turquoise when Eva (Blue Angel) owned it?
I don't know. It's the one labeled Carlotta in this map.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.23.09 PM.png

I don't know. It's the one labeled Carlotta in this map.
Be careful about information from google maps as it's from user input and often wrong. I double-check by looking at the street view to see what the signs say. When I do, I see a sign for Turquoise and another building labeled La Hache - permanently closed.

Be careful about information from google maps as it's from user input and often wrong. I double-check by looking at the street view to see what the signs say. When I do, I see a sign for Turquoise and another building labeled La Hache - permanently closed.
On my newly revised website, EverythingCozumel.com, I have two interactive maps of Cozumel. One is a map of the city and one is of the whole island. Together, they show THE CORRECT locations of all restaurants, bars, beach clubs, etc. You can use the pull-down search list OR the search box which you can put in the name or type of restaurant.

There are also two interactive lists of all such establishments, one of the ones in town, and one of the ones outside of town.

Interactive Map of San Miguel (Restaurants, bars, banks, ATMs, money exchanges, hotels)

Interactive Map of Cozumel Island (Public beaches, beach clubs, restaurants, ruins, hotels)

Interactive List of Restaurants in Town

Interactive List of Restaurants, Bars & Beach Clubs outside of Town

I made these maps because Google maps are crap and don't work well for Cozumel at all. Google map is just like Wikipedia; anybody can post anything on it and it is often WRONG.

Sereno restaurant is on the San Miguel map, a map which shows all restaurants from the Playa las Rocas to just past Puerta Maya.

Be careful about street view, too. Look for the date taken. Seems a lot of Coz is outdated and much of it from 2014 or earlier.

Be careful about street view, too. Look for the date taken. Seems a lot of Coz is outdated and much of it from 2014 or earlier.
That old, huh? Yeah, I know there have been many business changes. El G's map is more current as he mentioned. I tried to find Veari downtown on street view and El G's site both, but no luck. It may not have a sign?

Stayed and dived with them in 2013. Had no complaints. They had a nice ``penthouse'' room that had a separate living room and kitchenette, and looking at the website they still operate it. The dock across has been rebuilt since the hurricane, but there was decent snorkeling and shore diving (for what Cozumel has for shore diving) while I was there.

However, 9 years is a long time. I cant give you any updates or recommendations since.

Back
Top Bottom