Hola SoCal folks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewpy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was down in Irvine visiting family and on friday spent the afternoon swimming & boogie boarding at Crystal Cove State beach/Park with the family.Water was warm and very clear!I was warmer swimming than I am in a wetsuit in Monterey! Anyway,I noticed a map with some dive sites of the area which included the crash site of a wwII era Corsair.Has anyone dove it..? It looked a little far for a shore dive?Kind of a long hump with gear back up to the parking lot..?

Just curious..?
Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Thanks
Drew

Drewpy:
I was down in Irvine visiting family and on friday spent the afternoon swimming & boogie boarding at Crystal Cove State beach/Park with the family.Water was warm and very clear!I was warmer swimming than I am in a wetsuit in Monterey! Anyway,I noticed a map with some dive sites of the area which included the crash site of a wwII era Corsair.Has anyone dove it..? It looked a little far for a shore dive?Kind of a long hump with gear back up to the parking lot..?

Just curious..?
Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew. There is in fact a corsair at Crystal Cove. Haven't dove it myself, but from what I understand you can only get to it from boat or maybe a kayak. I hear there's not much to see of it anymore. Anyway, here's a thread about it from a few months ago when someone else asked about it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=95272&highlight=corsair

Hi Drew,

I dove Crystal Cove/ Reef Point today. Here is part of my report.

Hi everyone,

Attempted and semi-completed two dives today.

First Dive: Reef Point

Surf: Bigger than me (5' 3")

Swell: Reminded me of the Mogul's on Minnie's Mile in Vail, Colorado

Surge: Felt like a Human Slig Shot at times

Viz: White out to 5' at best

Temp: Toasty 64 degrees

Max Depth: 22'

Bottom Time: 20 minutes

7 of us geared up and headed down the ramp to the ever waiting surf. After several minutes of timing the waves, 5 of us made it through the (ever increasing surfline) without incident. The remaining two decided to call their dive, which I applauded later.

Kicking out while snorkeling, viz looked really good. At that point, I was pleased that I made the effort getting past the big waves. Once we all gathered at the surface, we dropped down. Viz promptly disappeared to a mear 5' at best decreasing rapidly as we made our way to the reef. In some spots, it was complete white out. In the short 20 minutes, we got separated twice and met back up at the surface. We tried going deeper, but viz just wasn't to be found and we were struggling with pretty strong surge. We decided to call the dive at that point. I told the group that this was my second worst dive of the year. However, good practice with entries and exits.

hey Drewp,
Crystal cove is great. I like the diving there lotsmorelife than most of laguna. Vizis great when the surf is small

JB

I appreciate it!
Ill have to bring my gear next time!
There does indeed seem to be lots of life...I saw quite a few fish below just floating on the surface!

Safe diving!

Drew

Back
Top Bottom