Holding breath for 15 minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Sietas is the current world record holder for static apnea. As previously posted 8:58. Reportedly his personal best is 10:08, but he has not been able to organize a record attempt.

The 12m 47sec mentioned is from a German Guinness Book world record attempt. He breathed pure O2 for a long time before the attempt, he was hoping to break the previous german 13min record, but did not make it. Due I think to Bon Jovi tapping on the glass and hitting on his girlfriend. The video can be seen here:

http://www.h2oteam.com/sub/stream/RTL24092005.wvx

and a free diving thread in which they discuss it is here:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63440&highlight=guinness+tom+sietas

I know that much longer than 13min has been done on pure O2, but I am not sure what the world record is, I'd have to check. So, feasibly, 15min is not impossible.

Cheers,

~James

Some records as posted on http://www.apneamania.com

Static Apnea with pure oxygen,
13'05", Bill Strömberg from Sweden, 041003 in Lausanne, SUI
(this with 4 min of pure oxygen inhale before start)
12'47", Giancarlo Bellingrath from Italy, 030615 in Naples, ITA
12'34", Gianluca Genoni from Italy, 020511 in Busto Arsizio, ITA

"Static Apnea" with pure oxygene, star from the bottom of a pool, and then in the end slowly going for the surface.

13'42", Robert Foster from USA, 590315 in San Rafael, California
Who stayed under 10 ft of water in a swimming pool. He hyperventilated with oxygen for 30 min before his descent and took his last breath at the bottom.

Other interesting breath hold records:

Succesive Apnea,
This is how long you can hold your breath "total" in one hour.

59'45", Giancarlo Bellingrath from Italy, 020428 in Napoli.
59'33", Benjamin Franz from Germany, 990111 in Germany.
59'25", Jean-Pol Francois from Belgium, 961124 in Belgium.
59'15", Didier Couver from Fance, 940918 in France.
59'10", Andy Le Sauce from France, 940120 in La Reunion.
58'35", Patrick Angelo from France, 1993 in France.
57'03", Andy Le Sauce from France, 920624 in La Reunion.

Amazing!

RonFrank:
Freediving records are all about depth, and not time.

Thats not entirely true. There are a number of disciplines which world records are ratified by AIDA, static breatholding being one of them dynamic with and without fins another (for distance in a pool no depth). http://www.aida-international.org/current_world_records.htm

15 minutes is absurd without O2, but then again i thought 9 minutes was absurd 3 years ago and the top competitors are there now, at least in training. I've heard of rediculous times with hyperventilating on 100% o2 in the 20 to 30 minute mark. I'm afraid I can't argue the science of why it's possible, but I know for a fact breathing up on pure oxygen will extend your static times.

Freedivers don't use it in competition because it's illegal, and we don't use it in the ocean because it's impractical. Who wants to haul a scuba tank around, that's why we freedive!

Freedivers don't use it in competition because it's illegal, and we don't use it in the ocean because it's impractical. Who wants to haul a scuba tank around, that's why we freedive!
(in reference to pure O2.)

Actually, it's fatal if used for depth, I don't pretend to know the science of it, but under relatively slight pressure O2 poisons you. That is why SCUBA tanks have an air mixture in them, and deep divers use a different mixture (NITROX) than other divers.

~James

I might be wrong but my understanding was that it's toxic when it's breathed in at depth, freedivers obviously arent' breathing beneath the surface, I don't believe that the the o2 in your bloodstream would become toxic at depth...

Correction, Nitrox isn't used for diving deep.

You are correct that Nitrox is not used to dive at depth. Tri mix is used for deeper dives. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the mix is nitrogen, oxygen and helium and I am not sure of the %'s of each gas because I am not trained in to that level of diving. When a driver is "bent" they do use 100% oxygen to assist and sometimes they take them for a ride in the chamber. I would suggest a technical diver would be better off to address this topic though.

Hi all, just passing through.

I noticed a lot of speculation, non-records, out of date stuff, urban legends, exaggeration and dubious claims in this thread and just wanted to put the record straight. The below mentioned details are correct as of today, 11th January 2006 - unless you have verifiable evidence to the contrary.

I would just add that there are unofficial records and other bodies, (e.g. a videoed 209m no limits free dive on the internet) but AIDA is the most authoritative or recognised source, so I refer to it. I fully recognise the right of anyone to reject them or go elsewhere or test themselves, but in order to avoid error, conmen/women, have recognised/respected assessors and unify the conditions so that it doesn’t get out of hand (like the innumerable boxing categories and boards), I have referred to AIDA in this instance.

Having said that, I would be VERY interested for evidence of any static or dynamic apnea records (preferably with video verification) that exceeds those AIDA world records mentioned here.

Tom Sietas is the current and pretty consistent king of the static and dynsmic apnea abilities (see tomsietas.com). He now holds the breath holding record (using oxygen just beforehand) of 14 mins 15 secs as of 8th January 2006, which super cedes Robert Foster by over 30 secs who did 13min 42.5 sec, staying under 10 ft. of water in the swimming pool of the Bermuda Palms Motel at San Rafael, CA on 15th March 1959. He hyperventilated with oxygen for 30 min before his descent, unlike Tom Sietas who just hyperventilated for a few minutes above the water.

He did it on his second attempt at a live televised Guinness world record TV programme -he 'only' did 13:18 at a German Guinness attempt on 24th (or 26th?) September 2005. He believes he can exceed 15 minutes, a bit of a mile stone, but following his career and given his other records, it is more than likely that he will exceed the 10 minute (static breath hold) and 15 minute barrier (static breath hold with a few minutes of oxygen breathing beforehand) before too long.

He officially holds the static apnea record of 8:58 (without oxygen) as of 12th December 2004 in a pool in Eindhoven, Netherlands, verified by AIDA.

He also officially holds the dynamic apnea record (without fins) of 175m in Loutraki, Greece in 2005, also verified by AIDA.

And he also officially holds the dynamic apnea record (with fins) of 212m, set on the same day as the above and also verified by AIDA.

Tom has done a 10:08 static in practise and a 200m finless and a 250m finned underwater swim, which he hopes to repeat under test conditions. These don't count with AIDA as they were not pre-arranged and witnessed by their representatives - as is required, but I believe Tom videos a lot of what he does. Even so, he is a modest guy, unlikely to boast or exaggerate, but just stick to the officially verified line to be sure.

His static world record of 8:58 (and one slightly less 8 and a half minute plus world record) are on video on the Internet. Both of his dynamic records are recorded in pictures and I think on video, and I believe are on the Internet too. His failed O2 attempt, mentioned above, is on video on the Internet, and his successful attempt of 3days ago (as confirmed by AIDA and on his website) will be available on video on his website soon if you can't get it already via the TV programme or having recorded it at the time.

See AIDA or other relevant sites for confirmation of any of the above and for all the depth dives (incl women) and for the one hour breath hold best times (with the least time spent above water, namely 59:45 - see a poster above) and for under ice-water dynamic apnea etc. I notice that the world distance above water distance swimming record was broken last week for the longest swim in ice water of 1km. A British lawyer has achieved this record in both the Arctic and the Antarctic now.

Like the Guinness book of world records has been the definitive source for records, (albeit ever more restricted nowadays because of safety and they do outsource from official organisations) any mention of cases better than those verified above should be taken with a pinch of salt. Some divers want to psyche others out for example or set off big rumours. 20, 30 or 60 minute breath hold times underwater have no verification at all and, until or unless shown otherwise, must be rejected as not true or at least unverifiable.

Tom Sietas also holds (or has held) records for constant ballast diving and was named as the greatest free diver of 2005 in Switzerland at an awards ceremony - and he's just a skinny guy!

P.S. I hold no allegience to Tom Sietas or AIDA and have never had anything to do with them. There are other good divers in these fields and other good organisations and I am sorry that time did no permit me to mention them, but I think it is fair to say that I have recognised the primary individual and organisation in these areas.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I've made any errors at stephen.owen@gmail.com

Thanks, Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong; but I've had an understanding that physiologically your brain begins to break down and you put yourself at a high risk of brain damage after 8 minutes. Or something similar, maybe 6, or 9 minutes.

MantaRey:
Correct me if I'm wrong; but I've had an understanding that physiologically your brain begins to break down and you put yourself at a high risk of brain damage after 8 minutes. Or something similar, maybe 6, or 9 minutes.
Hey MantaRey, you may be thinking of the 4 to 6 minute window in which brain cells begin to die. This is once the heart has stopped. If all goes well during a freedive then the heart continues to beat. However, there have been a couple of recorded heart rates from some of the elites that have measured around 8-10 beats per minute! Very efficient.

Back
Top Bottom