holding your breath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hold my breath a very long time when my buddy is off-gasing :eyebrow:

There's a bunch of us training with a world champion currently and as novices in training some of us are holding over 5 minutes. Unfortunately, due to a physiological difference the ladies max is shorter than the men's. 6 to 7 minutes vs. 8 to 9 for men. Sorry ladies, it's just the characteristics of the blood that makes the difference.

Iruka:
I could do over 3 minutes when I was younger; I know I can still go over 2 minutes (once in a while when I'm on the surface I'll do it for practice) but don't know HOW long I could really do it....after a couple minutes it gets uncomfortable enough that I figure it's not worth the trouble to hold it any longer. If I was getting $1 per second or whatever, then I might try it again!

Your hubby/boyfriend was my rescue instructor!!! Thanks for the great instruction. Guam RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

durian:
the number one rule in diving is to never hold your breath. My (stupid) question is: if you had to how long do you think you could hold it" I know once in held mine for 3 minutes in a swimming pool, but that was being completely motionless and relaxed.

Also, whenever I concentrate on something, like trying to thread a needle, I hold my breath. I have to be very conscious of this when diving.
Actually the more accurate "number one rule in diving" is to never close your airway.

And my answer to your question is ... as long as it takes for my camera to focus and flash ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ditto as above^...

I always felt that it was too uncomfortable to go beyond a minute and a half, but I never felt like I was out of air... unless it was doing laps underwater in swim practice; the coach always wanted us to do those after we did a sprint pyramid:shakehead

I have to say that although I am not training for swim team anymore SCUBA diving has made me a better freediver; before getting down to 20' was about my best. Now I'm pushing 50' because I know how to equalize, and not being in pain lets me hold my breathe longer.

durian:
the number one rule in diving is to never hold your breath. My (stupid) question is: if you had to how long do you think you could hold it" I know once in held mine for 3 minutes in a swimming pool, but that was being completely motionless and relaxed.

Also, whenever I concentrate on something, like trying to thread a needle, I hold my breath. I have to be very conscious of this when diving.
I hold my breath only when taking picture.. Follow the number one rule.. It takes time to get use to always breathing.. You might get lung injury if you accidently shoot up while holding your breath..

Some people have held it for near an hour and survived.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Some people have held it for near an hour and survived.

Gary D.

Uhhhh..... no they haven't. Don't know where you heard that one.

Back
Top Bottom