Hollis backplate details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would expect to more reliably perform in the typical scuba environment, passivated 304, or unpassivated 316?

Tobin

Did you actually read what I posted?

Where exactly did I say anything of the sort?

Tobin

I think that was supposed to say, Which would you expect to more reliably perform in the scuba environment......And after your post talking about the pluses of the 304 vs. the 316.....is where I came to my post....so Yes, I did read your post......I also just spell checked it for ya :wink:

Relax Tobin, I had some nice talks with you guys at DEMA, no need to get stirred up

I think that was supposed to say, Which would you expect to more reliably perform in the scuba environment......And after your post talking about the pluses of the 304 vs. the 316.....is where I came to my post....so Yes, I did read your post......I also just spell checked it for ya :wink:

Relax Tobin, I had some nice talks with you guys at DEMA, no need to get stirred up

I'm not "stirred" at all.

Note in my original post I provided links that explained, quite well, the benefits and typical applications of both alloys, and a very good link explaining passivation.

I did not make any unsupported claims or blanket statements. I've attacked no one, and no ones products. I trust the readership here will be able to make sound decisions when they have all the facts.

304 vs 316 is a choice for the manufacturer. With good practices 304 can be and has been employed in the applications I use it for quite successfully.

There's nothing "wrong" with choosing 316, but 304 can be just as valid choice.

Tobin

And my post was saying you have no reason to justify why or what YOU use in the Hollis forum....I agree you explained it quite well....but we arent here to read what DSS uses...this is the Hollis forum.....Did you read the forum you were in :wink:

And my post was saying you have no reason to justify why or what YOU use in the Hollis forum....I agree you explained it quite well....but we arent here to read what DSS uses...this is the Hollis forum.....Did you read the forum you were in :wink:

Many backplates are made from 304 SS, which is a grade I consider less than ideal.

This statement made by another poster implies that 304, which by far is the most commonly used alloy is substandard.

I was responding to Sadamune, which should be quite clear as I quoted his post.

Tobin

The overall bend of the backplate is that to maximize comfort while reducing drag when using either singles OR double tanks.

Thanks for the explanation Nick! Are these backplates available now, or are they still "in the pipeline"?

This statement made by another poster implies that 304, which by far is the most commonly used alloy is substandard.

Uh, no. I think you misunderstood me Tobin. I wrote, "less than ideal". While I hold 316 alloy in higher esteem than 304, I do not regard 304 to be substandard, nor did I infer as much. I consider it to be quite adequate for use in dive gear applications. I just consider 316 to be even better and appreciate Hollis for using an alloy that I prefer.

Sadamune

Hi Sadamune,

Yes, these backplates are available now. Thanks to a very successful Dema, we have opened up several new dealers. If you could PM me with your address and email, i could refer you to a Hollis dealer in your area.

Thanks,

Got any shots? There is nothing on the website, unfortunately.

Hi Scubastud,

Here is a quick image of our backplate.

Hope this works until the website gets updated.

IMG_0805-2.jpg

Thanks for the photo Nick! The backplate looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it and other Hollis gear in person.

Cheers!

Sadamune

what is the URL for Hollis?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom