Hollis backplate details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

316 is more corrosion resistant having less carbon, and is actually the standard in salt water applications being "marine grade". In addition, we also passivate. I think we can both agree the necessity of passivation in this case.

Regards,

316L is the low carbon version, but the primary advantage of reduced carbon is easier welding, less carbide precipitation. 316's improved resistance to chloride corrosion at elevated temperatures is due to the addition of molybdenum.

Tobin

Hi Nick,

By "bends", I wasn't referring to any specific feature, but the overall geometry of the backplate. While backplate designs in the industry are very similar, there are subtle differences between them, most of which are the result of some kind of reasoning, e.g. conformance to the back, single/twin cylinder spacing, etc. I was just curious if the particular geometry of the new Hollis backplate were the result of a specific design philosophy or not.

I do applaud the use of 316 stainless steel. It's an excellent alloy for marine applications and is a feature I look for when shopping for gear.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Cheers!

Sadamune

Hi Sadamune,

The overall bend of the backplate is that to maximize comfort while reducing drag when using either singles OR double tanks.

In the middle we have included multiple cam bands slots for divers utilizing cam bands. Also are 3 in line holes at the top and a slot at the bottom for using a STA or doubles bands. This is to offer as much adjustment opportunity as possible, for various torso lengths, and also for different size doubles.

On the outer perimeter are holes for mounting our comfortable backpad :D, canister light, drysuit inflation bottle, etc. At the bottom are slots for 1 inch or 2 inch crotch straps.

Lastly, on the outer edges at the bottom we have bent the corners outward to alleviate any pressure and or damage it might cause to your drysuit/wetsuit. And of course make it more comfortable.

The idea was to offer a plate design which our customers could utilize for their custom rig, without the need to drill additional holes or slots.

And....this belongs in the Hollis forum why?? No need to imply that the metal they use is not reliable on their forum........

Did you actually read what I posted?

Where exactly did I say anything of the sort?

Tobin

I thought the same thing at first myself.

When you asked:
"Which would expect to more reliably perform in the typical scuba environment, passivated 304, or unpassivated 316?"

It seemed as if you were saying that passivated 304 would perform better than the unpassivated 316 used by Hollis. At least that was the inferrence for me.

I guess it is academic anyway as Hollis passivates their 316. I did not realize that at first.

316L is the low carbon version, but the primary advantage of reduced carbon is easier welding, less carbide precipitation. 316's improved resistance to chloride corrosion at elevated temperatures is due to the addition of molybdenum.

Tobin

Tobin,

Again, 304 would perform fine in saltwater conditions. However, 316 could be seen as the better choice being more corrosion resistant.

Thanks,

Thanks ST...I was hoping for some different angle shots, preferably to see the bends on the bottom side of the plate, and the back.

If some shots could be provided, it would be wonderful (either here or on the website).

Thanks ST...I was hoping for some different angle shots, preferably to see the bends on the bottom side of the plate, and the back.

If some shots could be provided, it would be wonderful (either here or on the website).

Hi Scubastud,

I will make sure these different angles are included on the website.

Thanks,

"Which would expect to more reliably perform in the typical scuba environment, passivated 304, or unpassivated 316?"

This question was intended to make people think about the actual demands of the application. It is a rhetorical question, not intended to cast doubt on either approach.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom