Hollis Elite 2 Single Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking into purchasing a Hollis Elite 2. I'll be doing single tank diving in tropical areas. In the future that will probably expand to single tank diving in cold areas (7mm/dry), and then even further in the future it might include doubles/tec.

Is the following a "complete" BC setup that will have all the required components for my immediate tropical, single-tank diving?

1. Hollis Elite 2
2. Hollis Aluminum backplate
3. Hollis S-25 wing
4. Hollis Stainless Cam Band (1)

Immediate concerns: Does the Elite 2/Aluminum backplate require an STA for single tank diving? Or does the Cam Band fulfill that need?

Bottom line: Is this the full setup required to put together a 'complete' BC rig? I have all the other gear (fins/mask/dive belt/reg including inflator hose, computer and pressure guage/etc).

Thanks in advance!

Generally 2 cam bands are used with a backplate but other than that it is a "complete" package. An other optional (though some say it's required) is a crotch strap - doesn't looks like the elite harness includes one.

STA is not required with the Hollis BP as it has cam band slots (I have to same plate and wing) The wing has a cradle of sorts to position the tank - though I don't think it would work very well with only 1 cam band (but i haven't tried it either)

OK, so two cam bands. thats not a big issue.

What about fasteners? I've heard something about sex bolts being needed to attach the wing to the plate? Is that a separate purchase or are they usually included as part of the wing package?

You will need mounting hardware to attach your Hollis wing to the backplate. We recommend this;
Assembly Screws, Plastic, Set of TWO

Use this low cost plastic version of assembly screws to secure the wing to a backplate when rigged for a single tank without a single tank adapter. Without the assembly screws, when the BCD is taken off a single tank the wing will hang loose on the cam straps. Note that this function is just cosmetic, some people prefer to omit the assembly screws and this does not cause a problem. In our experience, the plastic versions also work every bit as well as the stainless steel versions for mounting accessories to backplates and they are much lower cost. Designed to fit through a 3/8-inch hole. Sold as a set of two.

Note: we do NOT recommend using these screws to secure wings to backplates. The metal screws will scratch your tank, so instead use the plastic versions.

http://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/screws.shtml

Thanks all!

So, if buying from scratch, this is the minimum recommended items to purchase.

1. Hollis Elite 2
2. Hollis Aluminum backplate
3. Hollis S-25 wing
4. Hollis Stainless Cam Band (2)
5. Generic Assembly screws (1x set of two)

The backplate pads are nice for stashing your smb, and I like them for playing in the pool since i usually dont wear a wetsuit there.

I have this almost exact same setup. Only difference is I have SS BP and a 38 Wing.

The Elite 2 has a crotch strap even though the pic doesn't look like it.

You do not need an STA. The Cam Bands loop through the wing and BP and cinch everything together. Bolts are not required but a nice to have. They keep everything together when not attached to a tank.

You should use 2 cam bands, and if you do, when you loop the waist strap through the BP you will have to route it differently than their instructions or the lower cam band will not fit. Hollis is aware of their incorrect instructions and said they will replace some day. As a reference loop your cam band through the BP before you route your waist strap.

If you want you can avoid the issue with the waist strap and just get an STA, but not required. I have been debating getting one. Would make cleaning easier too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom