Hollis F1 "Bat Fin" Size Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, Thanks Jim, I appreciate it.

Frankly, I think it might just be a bit too much movement for my liking. Pain in the butt really. I just waited a couple of weeks for delivery of these fins... thought they would be a better buy over the SP Jets... Looks like I may have to start over.

Still wondering what the guys at Hollis would add...

Hi Captain Kidd,

The size combination is just right, although there is alot of variation in type of boots especially between hard sole neoprene boots vs. drysuit overboots or attached boots. We designed this foot pocket to hit the middle of the road and although it works for most, it certainly wont work the same for everyone and there could be some lateral movement. Have you tried adjusting the strap?

Thanks for the info Nick. Your explanation does make sense, and I'm hoping adjusting the strap will help.

OK, UPDATE*****

I've adjusted the spring strap to the tightest setting. I will dive these fins this weekend and see how everything feels. Right now, on land, they are still a bit wobbly from side to side. I'll update this when I return. Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:
I think you need to try another boot. Are you wearing hard soled boots? I bought a pair of these fins and they definitely didn't work well with my soft 3mm boots. Now I have thicker boots with a hard sole but no longer have the F-1s. Might pick up a pair and try again.

Hey jdfmail, I'm wearing a hard-soled boot. I believe 3mm but thick hard sole. I have the spring straps adjusted to the tightest setting and it is better. I used them all weekend (9 dives over 3 days) and although I was able to fin OK, the movement was quite bothersome. Since I don't currently dive dry, I'm not sure if this is the right fin for me. Bummer too... I was really excited about them when I ordered the pair. I will make a decision this week as to keeping them or posting them on the Marketplace forum here.

Maybe someone will want to trade for some Jets... :)

Thanks for the reply.

I can only say that they definitely didn't fit with my soft soles. But I see so many rave reviews that I imagine that they would work quite well with the right boots.

You just need to take the nut off the pin with a 1/4 inch wrench (unless they changed the side to some stupid metric nut). . .
6mm seemed to work on mine; just bought my set last month.

Last edited:
I wear the exact same size as the OP and have the exact same problem...too much side play in the water. I've adjusted the spring straps but that just seems to apply more forward pressure to the boot. I've used these once and because they were not snug around my foot I hated them. I'm going to put these up for sale and either get a size one size down or Jet Fins and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom