For Trade Hollis Wing - 45lb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Go easy on me everyone. I don't know much about BP/W...yet. I'm just learning. Long story short, I have a brand new (I was told it was never used) hollis 45lb wing. I think this is probably more wing that I need right now in a single tank. Eventually I'd like to get into doubles but right now that is out of the question finacially.

I'm wondering if anyone out there wants to trade this for a 30lb wing? Or better yet, a whole set up. But I don't know how much this wing is worth compared to others. I really don't know what I have. TBH, I picked it up for really cheap with the hopes of selling/trading it for something more useable for me.

All of that said, if you guys think this is a good wing for me to use myself, I'd be ok with that too.

1694570462585.png

1694570485694.png

Do you dive in warm or cold water? In my experience, a 45lb wing should work fine with a single tank, and would probably be preferred over a 30lb wing if you do cold water diving.

The only real downside to using an oversized wing is that you sometimes get a "taco" effect around the tank and you have to overcorrect side-to-side movements a little to promote airflow. If you mostly do warm water diving this will also be a good wing to get you started with doubles as well.

I personally dive my 55 lb wing no matter the configuration because I'm cheap...

Do you dive in warm or cold water? In my experience, a 45lb wing should work fine with a single tank, and would probably be preferred over a 30lb wing if you do cold water diving.

The only real downside to using an oversized wing is that you sometimes get a "taco" effect around the tank and you have to overcorrect side-to-side movements a little to promote airflow. If you mostly do warm water diving this will also be a good wing to get you started with doubles as well.

I personally dive my 55 lb wing no matter the configuration because I'm cheap...
I personally dive with a Hollis SMS100 which has 52lbs lift and I've used a bungee loop around the wing to help pull it in tighter so it stays neater to the body and prevents any "taco" (not that I ever use it with a single cylinder) and also helps squeeze any access air out without having to roll around as much.

Go easy on me everyone. I don't know much about BP/W...yet. I'm just learning. Long story short, I have a brand new (I was told it was never used) hollis 45lb wing. I think this is probably more wing that I need right now in a single tank. Eventually I'd like to get into doubles but right now that is out of the question finacially.

I'm wondering if anyone out there wants to trade this for a 30lb wing? Or better yet, a whole set up. But I don't know how much this wing is worth compared to others. I really don't know what I have. TBH, I picked it up for really cheap with the hopes of selling/trading it for something more useable for me.

All of that said, if you guys think this is a good wing for me to use myself, I'd be ok with that too.

View attachment 802166
View attachment 802167

So yeah, there's nothing wrong with using this wing as is, it will work just fine for a single cylinder and if you ever switch to twins you won't need to change your wing.

Otherwise it is a Hollis, can't tell exactly which one, but Hollis can be worth a fair bit of money if you do choose to sell

I guess yes most of my diving is cold water. I'm basically exclusively diving a dry suit in the summer our water temps can be 70ish until you hit the thermocline then it's not uncommon to get into the 40s. I'm also hoping to do a lot more Great Lakes diving so that can get pretty chilly. Thanks for the feedback maybe I'll just keep it for now if I can find a back plate for cheap.

I personally dive with a Hollis SMS100 which has 52lbs lift and I've used a bungee loop around the wing to help pull it in tighter so it stays neater to the body and prevents any "taco" (not that I ever use it with a single cylinder) and also helps squeeze any access air out without having to roll around as much.

So yeah, there's nothing wrong with using this wing as is, it will work just fine for a single cylinder and if you ever switch to twins you won't need to change your wing.

Otherwise it is a Hollis, can't tell exactly which one, but Hollis can be worth a fair bit of money if you do choose to sell
I would eventually like to dive twins. Most of my diving as of now is relatively shallow I'm limited on gas supply well before my ndl. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look to see which Hollis it is exactly but part of my reasoning for wanting to trade it was because I was hoping that it was worth enough to get a whole setup. Like the poster above, I'm also very cheap.😂

Thanks to both of you.

@Arkman

As a cold water diver, 45 lbs is A LOT of lift. I had an Xdeep doubles wing at 40 lbs. The one i have now is 50 lbs (though I wish I kept the 40 lb one). I actually had to look it up on the Hollis website as I was thinking this had to be a doubles wing. Nope, it is a singles one. I think you are doing the right thing going for a 30 lb wing. For single tank diving, the only wing I use is the one from Deep 6 (www.deep6gear.com) as I like its quick drying material and rule #6. Those have a 30 lb lift.

I have probably exacrly this wing and use it for single tank diving in cold water all the time. No reason to go smaller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom