home-made lobster snare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on out to California and you do not needto worry about how to make a home mede snare. NO SNARES, NO TICKLE STICKS, NO NETS. The lobster need to be 3.25" and you need to catch them with you hands only. I was in Florida in October and some of the divers on the boat were lobster diving. It seems almost impossible to not get a lobster that is found.

crum:
I use 3/4” pvc pipe with 1/8” to 1/4” rubber coated steel cable and duct tape.
Cut the pvc pipe to the length that you would like (I usually do about 5’), then drill a hole about 1” up from the opening on one end to the size of the cable that you are using through both sides of the pvc directly in line with each other, the best way is to just run the drill bit all the way through. Run the cable through the pvc till it comes out the other end, the end with the hole you drilled will loop back in to the holes drilled. Fold a little bit of the cable over after it is out of the hold and duct tape it so it can no longer go back out the hole. This will create the end for the lobster. On the other end that is sticking out, just fold it over and duct tape it to create a handle. It is that simple and cheap.

I will try to find mine and take some pictures. That will probably be easier than following my description.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. The waves are finally subsiding here in St. Croix after weeks of turbidity. Hopefully the viz will improve and I can test out your design (although I am a novice bug-catcher, so might not the best tester).

I look forward to the photos!

thanks!

Anyone else have or know of a plan?

Let's see some pic of the Lobster you catch, and the snare.

Just finished one today, went to home depot and spent two hours there trying to figure out a mechanism that would be safe for the lobster and came up with this...........

pictures to be posted as soon as my son comes home with my camera

snare079.jpg

snare083.jpg

snare081.jpg

snare091.jpg

snare086.jpg

snare087.jpg

snare093.jpg

Dscn1029.jpg

Here is the simplest one hand snare that can be made. Just some weedeater line a tickle stick and crimps.

why not the square kind? i have several snares made with Square Weedwacker line! it holds shape better, i put clear aquarium tubing over it.

in florida the square line is illeagle due to the possibility of cutting the lobster in half. At least this is what I have read in other posts here.

One really cheap way is a piece of 3/4 pvc with several holes at one end, no special places . get old pair of nylons and weeve them through the holes wrapping them around as you go. the spiny variety get caught up in them rather well. In Jersey we are not allowed any snares or tickle sticks just your hands.
see you topside! John

I have never used a stick or the described method, but spiny lobster are in other parts of the world. I was told this method by some old salt. OTOH I always catch by hand!
See you topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom