Honest Answer only: What DONT You like about the BP/Wings Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent idea. I assumed that S_G did'nt have one of those.

Did great with them untill I acted as an "unconcious diver" for a rescue class. They kept over inflating the wing and then trying to float me on my back.

Didn't work. Swallowed lots of water. :D

Switched BCs with the instructor. He loved my wings, the students could do the skill, and I didn't drink the water. Everybody happy!

:eek:ff:

thethumper once bubbled...
using a Dremel. Tends to be more control & you can smoothe any burrs, or even tapper the bolt. :)
sillygrendel, if you don't have a dremel, just leave the wingnuts on the bolt before trimming the bolts with the hacksaw - after trimming, they will act like mini-dies and at least let you remove and replace the wingnuts until you get a chance to finish off the cut edges with sandpaper or a sharpening stone - they will bend any threads pushed out of shape by the hacksaw roughly back into shape. If you cut the bolts without the wingnuts on, you might find it difficult to get them back on again ever. Years of farm maintenance behind this statement :wink:

When you wear it in warm water with out a wetsuit the harness can chafe a bit but I used those harness pads and it's fine now...

The only complaint I have is the webbing ... can't carry the thing (loaded) with no shirt on cause it bites into the skin. Divrnr - where did you get those harness pads from ? I saw some from OMS, but >$20 a pair seems kinda steep for what it is.

Also ... why must one use wingnuts?? If you don't plan on removing the bolts just use SS nylocks and be done with it - it won't go anywhere and by using the thin/HD buts you'll decrease the profile significantly. Is there something wrong with this method?

Paul

ScubaKims once bubbled...
The only complaint I have is the webbing ... can't carry the thing (loaded) with no shirt on cause it bites into the skin. Divrnr - where did you get those harness pads from ? I saw some from OMS, but >$20 a pair seems kinda steep for what it is.

Also ... why must one use wingnuts?? If you don't plan on removing the bolts just use SS nylocks and be done with it - it won't go anywhere and by using the thin/HD buts you'll decrease the profile significantly. Is there something wrong with this method?

Paul

Paul,

Nothing wrong, it just requires more tools if you have to get it off for some reason. If the bolt is the right length, then the wingnut is not an issue. Also, the rigs seems to loosen up a little after the first dive or after you've taken it off and then re-installed it. A simple turn of the wingnut takes care of that. With the locknut, you've got to carry tools.

For myself, I'm constantly switching backplates for different dives, so the locknut would drive me crazy.

In no particular order:
  • Hard to casually sling the thing over your shoulder on the way to/from the car. One of the reasons that I like my FredT - nice big handles on the sides.
  • Requires some padding when carrying a full load above the water. They are not as comfortable on the boat as a heavily padded jacket.
  • Some divers think I must be one of the dark horde and it makes them nervous. A couple of computers and a BFK usually dispels that notion for all but the newest divers.
  • The weight can be a problem when traveling. My plates are SS - no AL or plastic for travel.
  • Trim, height, ring position and a host of other things that are either impossible to adjust on a stabjacket (or are ignored) can be adjusted with a backplate, but it takes time and practice.
Steven

If you are using tanks with STAs or two sets of doubles it would be too hard to switch tanks over between dives. We usually take 2 sets of doubles and just unscrew the wing nuts, switch the doubles, and reattach. If you have an MC pack, this is a LOT easier if you leave one of the bottom MC bolts off so you can "peel" it back and access that bottom wingnut. Hard as heck on a pitching boat with that bolt in place.

I am with Ontario Diver on the rescue issue...hard to help with a rescue class in a BP/wing...students have a heck of a time getting it off. Divernva lost one of his scouts last weekend when an overzealous student unclipped it and dropped it in the quarry when he thought it was a clip holding the rig together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom