Honking Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a honking family of Atomic's as well. The SS1 I had honked the most, my Z1 honks a bit and so does my B2.

If it is the first stage that may make sense because they were all on the first stage that came with my B2.

Anyhow, they don't honk under water so you won't find a compalaint from me.

ZzzKing:
I just purchased an Atomic Aquatics Z2. Needless to say, I couldn't stand having it in the house without hooking it up to the tank to try.

It honks like a goose.

It doesn't seem like a new, out of the box reg should do that. Will it be a problem diving? Should I take it back for adjustment?

I had a honking regulator one day during certification classes. I remember it was fine under water but it wasn't as loud as this one.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Craig
I had the same experience with my Atomics B2. Once it got wet, it was happy. This is by far the best regualator I have ever used or owned. That goose is honking because it belongs in the water.

Update:

Just spent the last several days diving the honker in Key Largo. It breathed very well under water with no funny noises. It just sounds a little silly when standing at the rear of the boat waiting to take that first giant step of the day.

The noise is due to a dry diaphram.

Very simple (Note: Addition of KY not recommended. Keep that only for the wrist seals of your drysuit :wink: )

Seriously. I have a Z2 with a Z1 on my octo. Both honk when dry. And only when dry. And yes, I did talk to my LDS when I first tried them there. :)

Bjorn

Wife and I bought new MK25/A700 Subapros last week. When out of the water, mine honks like a goose in heat, and her's is silent out of water. Took it into LDS and he said not to worry. Indeed in breathes great as soon as it hits the water.

+1 Dry diaphragm. This is especially common on new regulators. Air flow through the second stage causes vibration (honking noise) in the diaphragm when it is dry and 'sticks' against the faceplate seal. It's not a safety issue and resolves underwater once the diagphram is wet.

Rub silicone into diaphragms, rubber and silicone and urethane and exhausts without leaving residue for particle and sand adhesion and
lumps under exhausts for ingress.

Personal lubricant is water soluble:wink:

The catch limit is 2 Gannets.

There is a fix for the dry, out of water, honking. Jules, and ScubaPro sent the new diaphragm to my LDS. I took both mine and my wife's reg in. They put the new diaphragm in. The new one, is shown in the photo on the right (black) and is actually just a bit thinner/flimsier. The old, clear one, is on the left. Interesting, as I mentioned above, the wife's reg was silent. They opened hers up to do the update, and found that hers already had the updated diaphragm in - hence the reason that we noticed her reg to be quiet! The fix must work.
photo-1.JPG

I don't dive an Atomic reg but i will weigh in anyway. In my trolling around SB I have seen 2-3 different thread that talked about the b2 and z2 honking. I read one post where the honking, both out of water and in was so bad the guy sent it back to atomic to have it fixed because his LDS could not figure it out. It sounds like a problem inherent to Atomic. I guess if it still breathes good in the water and you can accept honking from a reg you paid over 5 bills for then no problem.

You folks realize you brought back a thread from 2005?

FWIW: Breath your reg in the water. Outside of the water you can breath without a reg(!) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom