Hood Canal Dying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Mike:
We dove the area called the Pinicale. we dove with Pacific Adventures out of Pleasent Harbor Marina. Don is an excellent boat captiana dn tour guide.

Mike...

Don and his wife have an excellent operation and boat out of Pleasent Harbor.

She used to dive Sund Rock and Octopus Hole - occasionally Les Davis in Tacoma and once at Potlach on her very first open water dive. We used to live in Shelton - so spur of the moment dives at either place were possible. She always liked mid week dives - no parking hassles at either place

We'll be up in the area from 5 August to 16 August. Flying back in from sunny Central America to attend to some legal business in Mason County.

Have the book - lived in Shelton. I was wondering where you saw the six-gills!

Used to live there - I was just wondering which site he was diving when he saw the sharks. Kid did almost all of her diving at Sund Rock and Octopus Hole with occasional forays to Les Davis in Tacoma.

We're going back for a few days to the Shelton/Hoodsport area and then on to Enumclaw to visit some friends, attend to some legal business and do the dog show circuit (that's my thing - kid is the diver)

Trying to decide on Christmas vacation - probably someplace on Roatan or Utila since it's a bus and a ferry ride for me to get there.

Distressing news, Uncle Pug. I haven't been in the water there for a long time (I taught sailing for a brief time while at the UW). I know that the many small sources of effluent makes it a tough problem to solve.

-Bryan

MechDiver:
Octopus Hole has very limited parking, and you have to hike down a side hill. I consider this site very boring.
I dove Octopus Hole with Uncle Pug while I was in the P.S. area in May. Plan was to dive Sund Rock, but the shop was closed that day so we couldn't get the combo to the lock :frown:

So, we found the parking area for Octopus Hole instead. Although far from the most interesting site I've dove, it definitely wasn't boring! Besides all the usual little critters and sculpins, we saw a couple GPOs and a LARGE wolfie. The Dungeness crab were plentiful and we offered one to the wolfie. It was too big for him, but it was still cool when he grabbed it!! Lucky crab lived to be eaten another day :D

For what it's worth ...the dive shop is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but if you call ahead they will usually meet you at the shop or leave the key to the lock at a jewlery shop across the street.

DiversMom:
Have the book - lived in Shelton. I was wondering where you saw the six-gills!

There have been reported sightings at several dive sites ... Flagpole, Rosies, and the Pinnacle that I've heard of. Not sure if there've been any at Octopus Hole or Sund Rock ... those other places are further north.

Seem to be more six-gill sightings than normal this year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
There have been reported sightings at several dive sites ... Flagpole, Rosies, and the Pinnacle that I've heard of. Not sure if there've been any at Octopus Hole or Sund Rock ... those other places are further north.

Seem to be more six-gill sightings than normal this year ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Not sure the name of the site that we dove on the other trip to Hood Canal, but it was not too far from the Pinicale and was a wall that had a Guard shack on one end of the dive and was maybe 200 meters long, depth was from 30 to 90 feet.

We dove this out of Pleasent Harbor Marina so that may help, not sure.

We dropped in on three six gills there and were a bit surprised to say the least. They were not large, maybe 3 to 4 feet. I am sure this site has a name, but I am in Europe for two weeks (following Tour de France) and log book is in Redmond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom