Hood Canal Trip, where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobnelson0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been in Seattle a year now and I am FINALLY getting some plans together to go diving. A couple of buddies and I will are planning on going to the Hood Canal the weekend of May 22-23. Right now we are looking for places to stay. Anyone have any recommendations? I've been diving in the canal only a couple times and I stayed at the Sunrise motel, in which I've had a good experience each time. I've also heard some great things about Mike's Beach Resort. We have been looking at the following places:

Mike's Beach Resort
Sunrise Motel
Glen Ayr
Waterfront at Potlatch

We will also have a few non-divers with us, so other activities in the area would be great too.
And while I'm on the subject, are there any MUST see dive sites at any of these places?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and opinions. I'm looking forward to the trip!

Last edited:
Glen Ayr is probably the nicest place to stay. Very clean, with a separate drying room with rinse tanks for dive gear. Diving available from their dock. Mikes Beach is kinda cool too, especially the cabins on the water. There are also some dorm style rooms. The best diving there is at the south end of their property at Flagpole Point, but be sure to discuss this with them as there are issues with the residents there. You have already stayed at Sunrise, which is the worst place in my opinion, and I have never been able to book a room at Potlatch. Also, check with Hoodsport and dive shop, and there are also some nice rentals by the rv park north of Sund Rock. Must do dives, would have to include Sund Rock both walls, Flagpole Point, Octopus Hole, Jorstad creek, im sure others will add to this. Have fun!!

I've stayed at Mike's twice this year- once in a cabin, and once in the dorms for my AOW class. The accommodations are kinda sparse, but definitely livable. I can't compare it to any of your other options, but I wouldn't mind staying there again. +1 on the Flagpole- Mike can get you a key to the gate to drive closer to the water, then it's a few-minute surface swim to the dive site. The other dives around the resort aren't too shabby, either- especially at night.

There's a place folks call the Yellow House, but I don't know if it's actually one of the ones you have mentioned.

You might consider asking the question on our small, local board, nwdiveclub.com There are a lot of Hood Canal divers there.

Yellow House is rented as a group house through Hood Sport N Dive, but sometimes there are some spaces left and the group doesn't mind including a few others. Also, Hood Sport N Dive is a great shop. Both Air and Nitrox and most of the time will do a visual while you wait, for a reasonable price (especially compared to some of those rip-off Seattle shops).
Hood Sport 'n Dive

It's nothing fancy, but Mike's Beach Resort is my favorite. I have my favorite room (which I will not tell you which one or why, because I want it available :) ), but there is also the dorm. I like the availability of kitchenettes and a big hot-tub to warm up in. The great part of staying here is that it is the middle of all the Hood Canal attractions, and you can do some great dives just by walking down to the beach and getting in - great for a couple of day and night dives. Last year there was a gigantic octopus at 80 ft hiding under a sunken boat just off the dock. I also like it because so many divers stay there and its great to visit between dives and maybe even buddy up. Also, Mike has great air - he just keeps filling them up as fast as you can get them on to his shack. I do wish that he would get his drying room heater fixed - it's been broken too long!
Mike's Beach Resort on Hood Canal, Washington

Mikes Dive Shop (not to be confused with Mike's Beach Resort) also has some very nice places to stay - especially for a group, but you can rent a room as well. They are very nice people and you can find some stuff in their shop that you won't find elsewhere, but the dive shop is not serious competition compared to Hood Sport N Dive. If you want to check out their nice accommodations, call (360)877-9568.

And here's Skipper Don with great boat dives:
Hood Canal Pacific Adventure Dive Charters in Hood Canal near Brinnon Washington Puget Sound- pacadventure

Octopus Hole, Sund Rock N & S, Mike's Beach Resort, and maybe even including the night course (following compass and/or ropes) across the street from the Yellow House will keep you busy a long weekend.

another vote for Glenn Ayr, stay there all the time, love the hot tub and heated dive lockers:D

I have heard really nice things about the Glen Ary, but I pick the less fancy place, like Mike's Beach Resort, because they are clean and nice and on the water. Also, the reason I have never stayed at Glen Ayr is because it is across the road from the water/Hood Canal. I like to be able to lazily just walk down without any drama (crossing a major highway like you do at the Yellow House and Glen Ayr) either with my divegear or just an evening walk. However, the hot tub and heated dive lockers sound nice. I hope, as I said before, that Mike will have his heater fixed in the divegear drying room this time. I think that I will send him an email right now.

Wow... thanks for all the good feedback. It sounds like its a toss up between Mike's and Glen Ayr. We'll prob go with Mike's since its so close to the water.

I have heard really nice things about the Glen Ary, but I pick the less fancy place, like Mike's Beach Resort, because they are clean and nice and on the water. Also, the reason I have never stayed at Glen Ayr is because it is across the road from the water/Hood Canal. I like to be able to lazily just walk down without any drama (crossing a major highway like you do at the Yellow House and Glen Ayr) either with my divegear or just an evening walk. However, the hot tub and heated dive lockers sound nice. I hope, as I said before, that Mike will have his heater fixed in the divegear drying room this time. I think that I will send him an email right now.

Actually, this is a couple hours later - I did call (and emailed) Mike's Beach Resort - his son said that the heater in the divegear drying room is fixed!!! We'll be there the weekend of April 16-18th!!! Who else is going to be there? Look us up - ask for the guy with his 24 year old son and a couple other guys who are diving with Skipper Don on Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom