Question Hood Ear vents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Akimbo

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed reading A Little Detail by Gary Rose, M.D., FACS in Dan's Alert Diver Magazine, Q2 2022. In summary, it describes his external auditory canal barotrauma caused by this hood sealing air in his ear. The author blames it on forgetting to vent his hood before descending. It struck me as very odd since punching a small 1/8" or 3mm hole in my hood for each ear has been my practice since my dive instructor recommended it 60 years ago.

1655056901594.png

Custom punched vent hole for ears. Paper inserted in hood for photographic purposes.

There have been a number of times I forgot to punch ear vents on a new hood but the first dive reminded me of the error. My question is: isn't this standard practice?

I just completed reading A Little Detail By Gary Rose, M.D., FACS in Dan's Alert Diver Magazine, Q2 2022. In summary, it describes his external auditory canal barotrauma caused by this hood sealing air in his ear. The author blames it on forgetting to vent his hood before descending. It struck me as very odd since punching a small 1/8" or 3mm hole in my hood for each ear has been my practice since my dive instructor recommended it 60 years ago.

View attachment 728087
Custom punched vent hole for ears. Paper inserted in hood for photographic purposes.

There have been a number of times I forgot to punch ear vents on a new hood but the first dive reminded me of the error. My question is: isn't this standard practice?
That is an awesome idea. My K01 hoods will seal like a bank vault and I have to manually pull the hood to the side underwater to flood my ears. I will be doing this.

I pull the side of my hood, if I don’t it will trap air sometimes.

I will be doing this.

It helps to have anther person with a white/silver Sharpie (or equal). Press your finger on the outside of the hood against your ear canal until you feel it on the center. Let the helper put a dot on the center after you get your finger out of the way.

A hot needle or screw-driver might also work.

I recall some divers heating up unfolded hangers and paper clips to make the holes. A needle would probably be too small.

Do we need warnings to take the hood off before making the holes?
:facepalm:

I always pull my hood away from my ears on both sides.

You are far more patient than I will ever be. I have been know to take a header and swim straight down when signaled to jump, generally when searching for something.

A hole punch, for paper should do the trick. A hot needle or screw-driver might also work.
hot soldering iron tip works pretty well also,
Also important reminder: mark the correct spot and remove the hood first before making the hole.

Back
Top Bottom