Horrible vis at Hawthorne Reef. One of my better dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We checked conditions from Redondo Beach to Marineland this morning. Pt. Vicente had nice visibility, but a strong current. Marineland had dirty green water, so we turned around and tried Hawthorne Reef.

When I reached the bottom I could barely see the reef. Visibility was three feet, the worst I have even seen there. I was going to head back up but had to move my anchor first. The chain was tangled among the cracks. In the poor vis, it took me nearly 800psi to free the ground tackle and move it to the sand. I decided to stick with the dive rather than have a short tank for my next dive.

On one of my recent dives at Hawthorne Reef I saw Kevin Lee photographing something small near the large pinnacle we usually anchor near. It turned out to be an Ancula gibbosa. I had only seen one before and didn't get a decent image. My plan was to look in the same area and hope for the best.

For most of the dive I found the usual snails, nudibranchs and worms. I was about to head for the anchor when I spotted a small white dot a few feet away. It was not only an Ancula gibbosa, but six of them, including a mating pair laying eggs. I fired off several shots, then returned to the surface. I guess it was one of those terrible, dirty, lousy dives that I come back smiling from.

HawthorneReef1.jpg

Flabellina trilineata in the process of a bowel movement. A small critter rests on the nudi's side, perhaps the famous Peninsula Poop Pouncer.

HawthorneReef2_edited-1.jpg

Six, count 'em, six Ancula gibbosa

HawthorneReef3-1.jpg

HawthorneReef4-1.jpg

HawthorneReef5-1.jpg

Awesome find! That's why I love being a nudiphile. You only need a foot of vis to enjoy the dive :D Superb exposure on the last three shots! You can see all their innards in perfect clarity. Very hard to do that with the white nudi's, so easy to blow them out.

You know what I'm going to ask.....How are Merry's captures coming along? :bonk:

Love the nudis. I really could take pictures of them all day, every day and be happy forever. Thank you for posting a few new ones!

Oh, a very cool find, and beautiful photographs! Thanks for sharing some SoCal nudis that we won't see up here.

I do dig it.

Seriously, what's you guys' tricks to finding nudies? Especially with the really small ones? I would comb over an area over and over again at snail's pace and wouldn't see squat. At least not the cool new ones.

Is it worth it to bring maybe a magnifying glass underwater?

I recently filmed a Hypselodoris taking a poop (not to mention the giant sea bass I caught taking a dump on camera). Thinking of making a short video based on an incident told to me by Jean-Michel Cousteau. He had just given a talk and opened it up to questions from the audience. A little girl raised her hand and asked "How can you swim in the ocean with all the fish poopies?" Maybe I'll submit it to the SCUBA Show Film Festival!

I look closely at their food sources. Hydroids, sponges, bryozoans and algae often contain tiny spots that look a little different than the rest of the plant/animal. Often, eggs will be found on or near the food source. I also get lucky when I take a picture of a speck that looks different and it turns out to be a tiny nudi. I also don't swim much. On most dives, I sometimes cover no more than thirty feet.

---------- Post Merged at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 AM ----------

fishpoo-1_copy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom