Hose Length...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonscuba,

For single cylinder, 7ft hose is maybe too long. Obviously open to debate but 5ft is DIR (?). I use 7ft on both single and double and it doesn't seem to get in the way.

Later - Dave.

Okay, here's a total newbie observation. Now, I'm sure that a lot of thought and experimentation has gone into the decision for this particular DIR 7ft primary routing path. It seems that it is the recommended method, and I can absolutely see how it is beneficial and efficient.

But, from a mental-wellbeing standpoint, don't you guys ever worry about having that tube wrapped around your neck? Does it not bother you?

I guess having it secured, instead of having it out in the open where it can get snagged, probably helps more to keep a level head, yes?

Cheers,

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
But, from a mental-wellbeing standpoint, don't you guys ever worry about having that tube wrapped around your neck? Does it not bother you?
This is a terminology battle that I've been fighting for some time. Almost all descriptions of the hose say it "goes around the neck" or it's "wrapped around the neck."

This is incorrect. It comes across the chest to the left shoulder and then passes behind the head/neck and into the mouth. In fact about the only place it actually touches the neck is on the left above/behind the shoulder. It certainly doesn't come anywhere near the front of your neck, so any images strangulation should be laid to rest.

See http://www.underctek.com/open/DIRF/dir1.jpg for a picture.

Roak

Hi Roakey,

Thanks for the clarification. You're definitely right. It doesn't seem like the tube would pose a strangulation hazard at all.

I'm completely intrigued by the equipment configuration that DIR divers seem to adhere to. While it sounds like everyone has their own personal features that they incorporate into the design depending on the type of diving that they do, I think it's because of the overall flexibility and simplistic design of the system.

To put it in a geeky web developer's sense, it's "scalable" :)

I'm surprised more people haven't adopted a configuration like this for open water diving, actually. You're more streamlined, less-encumbered, and you have a wider range of motion in many areas of your body because there aren't as many restrictions.

Question: Is it too much of a newbie thing to consider a gear this setup from the start? I would think that it is a safer way to dive in general...

Cheers,

Matt

I made the changeover at about 30 logged dives, and one of the reasons I didn't do it sooner is that I knew I was going to do AOW on a dive boat where I KNEW IN ADVANCE they were hostile to it.

Having now logged a few with this config, I like it a lot. Its simpler, you don't have hoses flying all over, the risk of getting hung up on something is a LOT lower, and you can HEAR anything that is leaking, since the hoses are all near your ears. I also like the fact that I can look at my gauge and computer without having to unclip it, which was flatly impossible on my other BC.

Matt,

There is nothing really scalable about a DIR gear configuration. It is how it is. Now, you can go with a similar configuration, and change things you do not like, but that will not be DIR. IF you are still breathing the regulator from the long hose, it is considered Hogarthian, but that is another story all together.

As far as a newb using this type of configuration, I am all for it. Some instructors even teach open water in it.

Ah yes, of course. That makes perfect sense, also. DIR is what it is for a reason -- a GOOD and LOGICAL reason, I've found, from the research I've been doing.

You're right: Change the configuration, and you're not adhering to the standards anymore.

I've just started reading up on the Hogarthian system. Will absolutely be doing a lot more before posting more questions. I need to keep from getting burned while jumping through those flaming hoops!

Matt

Read all you can, but do not stop not knowing something from posting a question. Heck, that is how you are going to get an answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom