Hose Length...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D.I.R.Lizard once bubbled...
when you are done with it, unclip it float it in front of you, deploy your second one. Stow the hose on the first, turn it off and clip the top clip to the waist d-ring

Reading and visualising your procedure here and I like it. I've never seen anyone do it this way. People here do it one of two ways: either leave both clipped the whole time and simply struggle to stow the reg on the 50% bottle or unclip the upper clip of the 50%, stow the reg and drop the bottle with the lower (waist) clip still attached.

On my next dive I plan to try your method.

Thanks!

Tom

dkerr once bubbled...

Quick question on this link. It looks like his primary is bolt snapped to his back up reg. Maybe I am looking at it wrong but wouldn't this be a bad idea for rapid deployment?
Thanks

Optical Illusion. The bolt snap is simply hanging in front of the backup regs hose.

I noticed that too.

Was just about to ask that same question.

Why even bother snapping it? The bungee is holding it on, and if the bungee breaks, wouldn't the entire snap come off anyway?

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
Why even bother snapping it? The bungee is holding it on, and if the bungee breaks, wouldn't the entire snap come off anyway?

The bolt snap is attached to the primary regulator on the long hose. The bungee is attached to your backup regulator. The bolt snap is there so if you are stage diving, you can clip the regulaotr off to your chest dring when you are breathing a stage, so you can clip it off when you are breathing from your buddy's long hose, or so you can clip it off on the surface.

So, in this particular picture, the bolt snap is actually hanging from the primary reg, not actually attached to the bungie cord. The other end is not attached to the backup reg, it's free and waiting to be clipped to the D-ring.

Okay, I'm seeing it now.

Talk about illusions. Someone should re-take that picture.

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
To put it in a geeky web developer's sense, it's "scalable" :)
Scalable? Yes and no (I’m going to address only equipment issues here).

The equipment is quite scaleable. The backbone of the system is the BP and wing, so to start all you need is to replace your existing BC and you’re good to go. You can add the long hose, the short SPG hose and other stuff later.

To be so-called “DIR” there’s a minimum configuration that’s required. So though scaleable up, DIR is not scaleable down beyond a certain point. With the minimum configuration, as you add equipment nothing changes or moves. Let’s say you have a single cylinder DIR rig and you go to doubles. Your “interface” doesn’t change. You still have your regs, SPG and inflator hose and wing in the same places and they work the same. The only difference is you’ve got a bit more inertia to get used to and some knobs you need to learn to manipulate.

Adding a canister light? Put it on, nothing else moves or changes. Stages? They clip onto existing D rings and nothing else moves or changes. Scooter? Snap it to the existing D ring and you’re good to go.

With recreational gear how many times have you decided to carry a small light, but to put it in the pocket you had to move your whistle to another pocket or take something out completely and leave it on the boat. Addition of equipment to recreational gear almost always results in reconfiguration or rearranging of existing equipment. That is until you’ve been diving for a couple of years and get a lot of experience, and then you’ll learn how to stow things so you add and delete stuff without disrupting your system. Why wait for those years of experience, when the DIR system has been developed to show you how and where to stow everything so you don’t have to learn from the school of hard knocks, you can just DIVE and have fun?

The guys behind DIR didn’t invent anything new, they just took existing configurations from Main, Turner and Exley for example, refined it, experimented with it and came up with the “best of the best” and, best of all, are willing to share their experience with anyone who’s interested!
xoomboy once bubbled...
Question: Is it too much of a newbie thing to consider a gear this setup from the start? I would think that it is a safer way to dive in general...
I’m going to patent the following quote some day :):

So called “technical” divers do things differently from recreational divers not because they want to be different, but because they have a safer and easier way of diving.

If it’s safer and easier, you’d WANT to start out that way, wouldn’t you? Why make things hard on a beginner?

[added on edit] In no way am I saying that a beginner should start out with doubles, stages and a canister light. But they should start out with the interface that technical divers have.

Roak

Roakey,

Excellent explanation. I guess I did not think of it being scalable in the way you did. I simply thought about things like, "Well, I want to be DIR but I want a buttmounted canister." KWIM?

JamesK once bubbled...
I guess I did not think of it being scalable in the way you did. I simply thought about things like, "Well, I want to be DIR but I want a buttmounted canister." KWIM?
"Scalable" is too slippery a word; we're both right :)

Ok, I'll say "Uncle." What's KWIM mean?

Roak

In defense of myself, when I stated that the system was "scalable", I was absolutely referring to what Roakey just explained. You have a base configuration, but it's extensible enough to work with the goals of your dive.

KWIM = Know What I Mean?

Matt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom