Hotel Opinions Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FranzKafka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Booking a trip to Cozumel in early May and have read a lot of threads here. Based on what I have read (and My Dive Buddy's budget) I have narrowed down to three hotels.....in no particular order.....

1) Hotel Cozumel
2) Fiesta Americana
3) Blue Angel (aka Carib Blu)

We plan on using a local dive op (unless we booked Blue Angel)

Any thoughts on above 3? Will not be doing an AI plan. I need a place that is clean, somewhat quiet (rooms quiet). I realize my choices are not top of the line (they all are well thought of though), but My Dive Buddy is cost conservative (today's economy).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you have stayed at any of the 3 let me know. Also any of above have decent shore dives?

My vote is the FA. While I have no experience at either of the other hotels, I think the general opinion is the food is better at FA. The shore dive is OK, as shore diving goes. FA is definitely a quiet and clean hotel. The AI is very reasonable. You might consider it just for the convenience. I think several companies (Orbitz, etc.) are offering free breakfast with booking, so that is another option. All dive ops will pick up at the FA pier, as it is south of town, toward the reefs.

Booking a trip to Cozumel in early May and have read a lot of threads here. Based on what I have read (and My Dive Buddy's budget) I have narrowed down to three hotels.....in no particular order.....

1) Hotel Cozumel
2) Fiesta Americana
3) Blue Angel (aka Carib Blu)

We plan on using a local dive op (unless we booked Blue Angel)

Any thoughts on above 3? Will not be doing an AI plan. I need a place that is clean, somewhat quiet (rooms quiet). I realize my choices are not top of the line (they all are well thought of though), but My Dive Buddy is cost conservative (today's economy).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you have stayed at any of the 3 let me know. Also any of above have decent shore dives?

I have been staying at Blue Angel since the early 80's (through 4 owners and names), and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. It's small and quiet with an excellent dive op on site. It has a nice pool and a great little restaurant, and every room has a glass wall/sliding door overlooking the water. The rooms are decent-sized and clean, and there are refrigerators in most (maybe all, by now) of them. I love the place.

Hotel Cozumel is closer to town so less need for taxis to go & eat. Caribe Blue is still reasonably close to town but the FA is going to require a car or lots of taxi rides to eat. Caribe Blu is nice but I haven't stayed there but would. I have done Hotel Coz my last 4 trips, most recent one being 3 weeks ago. Good value & located where I wanted to be.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Caribe Blu
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Hotel Cozumel...
I believe Hotel Coz offers a breakfast package (extra cost) that could be helpful since you will be able to eat before your dive pick ups without running part way to town for an alternative spot to eat.

cicopo. Thanks for the links to the pictures.....very helpful. If I book through travelocity (bad idea ????) the package at Hotel Cozumel (HC) comes with breakfast. I too am a believer in good value. I don't mind paying as long as I get what I paid for.

How is the shore diving at Hotel Coz?

1. Caribe Blu (BlueAngel) if you can get a room in May
2. Fiesta Americana or Hotel Cozumel...both pretty similar..HC is closer to town and the shore diving is ok....cozumel is not known for it's shore diving...but it does have some nice rubble that critters like to hide in....the pool area at HC can get pretty noisy with kids...thump thump of disco music during the day....I think they still have "shows" at night that can be loud....but it gets quiet around 9:30pm...I have never had any problems falling asleep when I have stayed there...

I've never done a shore dive along there but it's not going to be great but I'm sure an evening dive would be more interesting than a day dive. I have snorkeled along there but it's also not that great for anyone who has dove much, or spent much time there pre Hurricane Wilma. You might find the Hotel Coz section of this worth reading.
2 weeks, 2 resorts, my thoughts & comments. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

Larry (cicopo). Your pictures are amazing! Now I am not sure where to stay at all. Thinking I might want a place with a nice beach now that I saw pics of Iberostar. Maybe the Allegro then. But some dive ops have said not to stay in south because that limits locations.

But looking at your maps you posted a lot of the good reefs are in the south anyway. So good beach/good pool/good diving/good value what are your 1st & 2nd choices?

By the way saw your RC plane pics. My friend has been mounting a little video camera on his RC planes and the footage he gets is amazing. He is on youtube...look up westmeadowbob and you can see some of his videos. Very cool.

Because I can't relate re costs for the different resorts to the south of town I will rate them by which I prefer & why (condensed version) but you are correct in that they are much closer to the reefs you will dive, since you don't appear to have enough logged dives for the north end of the island yet. There are enough great dives in the south that you're going to have plenty of good bottom time.
Iberostar would be my first choice because of layout & food quality. Allegro (now renamed as HVWS)would be my next choice because I liked the layout & doubt the food is much different than the Grand but the resort should be cheaper & therefore a better value. The Grand is next and you already have a link to my thoughts about it. It's nice but not what I like for the price. I wouldn't consider the Wyndham for too many reasons to even start listing them.
Re the R/C stuff, here's the link to a private album showing a plane that is flown using the video camera to send it's signal to the pilot just as though he is in the cockpit. I didn't notice it at first but after talking to him I remembered seeing him in his hood. He can't see anything around him from in the hood, just what shows up onm his virtual reality goggles.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Virtual flight.
I'm looking forward to shooting a few more events this summer, and could hear someone flying at the local field today while repairing wind damage to my roofing.
If this is your first trip to Coz I'd recommend staying in town just so that you can do some exploring plus sample some of the great restaurants, but that's up to you & your buddy.

You should check out the dive packages at Blue Angel, they are kicking in meals now as well... below is part of the email I recived from them...

------------------------------------

Here are new prices - but please note you have breakfast included as well as lunch from menu on dive days also along with other extras - as listed below.

Let me know what you think!

The cost for 7 nights hotel for 2 guests and 5 days of 2 tank boat dives for 2 certified divers would total $1,300.00 ($650.00 per diver based on double occupancy) + taxes.

This a week package also includes at no additional charge daily breakfast, LUNCH on DIVE DAYS ONLY and 3 - 1 tank afternoon boat dive per diver (taken on days of other 2 tank dives).

This price includes Marine Park fees, hyperbaric affiliation fees, tanks (free tanks for shore dives also), weights and weight belts.

Should you wish to do Twilight dives (instead of daytime dives) there is an additional $5.00 per diver - for each one.

You can also add a 1 tank night dive for an additional $40.00 per diver.

Not included in the prices above are taxes, equipment rental or gratuities.

Rental for BCD, Regulator with gauges or wetsuit would be $5.00 each piece per day- lamps for night dive $10.00.

Blue Angel offers several daily trips to the reefs of Cozumel. Our usual trip is a 2-tank boat dive. BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP offers personalized service for small groups in fast boats.

Our 2-tank boat dive trips depart at 8:00 am, 1:00 pm & a twilight at approximately 3:00 pm. These boat dives take about 4 hours from when you leave the dock till you return to the dock. All boat dives include: in water divemaster, tanks, weights, weight belts and purified bottled water.

We also offer a 1-tank night dive that departs our dock at approximately 6 pm. (Sorry no twilight or night dives on Sundays)

For exact times of the twilight & night dives, please check with the office when you are there, the times varies a little with the daylight hours.

The boat dives with Blue Angel are computer dives. These dives are extended bottom time dives, we are in no hurry while diving. All the Blue Angel divemasters have a great passion for the water and want to show you this beautiful underwater world. We want you to enjoy the beautiful reefs and marine life that surrounds Cozumel!

Boat dives in Cozumel are drift dives that go from mild to very strong, you can check more about our reefs at our web page blueangel-scuba.com. While diving with BLUE ANGEL, we offer progressively more challenging dives, all while under the watchful eye of our divemasters, you continue to raise your skill and confidence levels.

We dive ALL the named reefs, a few unnamed reefs and the wreck.

With your dive package, we offer our certified divers FREE AIR TANKS (and use of weights) at our shop for shore diving.

We have an easy access to the ocean and nice area to dive with LOTS to see. It's a great place for doing a check out dive or just an extra tank to look at all the beautiful fish in the area right in front of the BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP.

Should you need other diving equipment, assistance or a guide to accompany you on the shore dives, that would be at an additional cost. Inquire at the shop for more information.

All rooms at the BLUE ANGEL RESORT - formerly Caribe Blu Hotel Blue Angel Resort ( Caribe Blue Hotel & Diving Resort ) - Blue Angel Carribean Diving Resort are ocean-view with beautiful SUNSETS !

All 22 rooms have mini fridge, A/C, electronic safes, Cable TV, telephone & private bath and either a patio or balcony to the sea. 20 rooms have 2-double beds and 2 rooms have a king-size bed.

Although we are unable to guarantee a specific room, we do try to honor guest request when at all possible.

There are many improvements to the hotel. We have loungers near the ocean-front fresh water swimming pool for our guests to relax in and under palapas at the ocean's edge to watch the beautiful sunsets.

In the lobby - we have wireless for you to use your computer or ask to use the hotel computer to check your emails - free of charge!

Purified drinking water and beach towels are provided at no charge to our guests.

We have a nice little restaurant open from 7 am until 6 pm featuring fresh made to order meals at fantastic prices and now HAPPY HOUR from 4 - 6 and other daily specials we are sure you will enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom