Hotel stay before Turks Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking of arriving on the island one day early for a Turks and Caicos trip with Explorer Ventures. Any recommendations for an inexpensive but clean place to stay for one night that's in the area? We just need a bed in a clean room, no amenities.

^what he said^. The Explorer vans will be picking up at the airport and going very near there the next day to the boat - on Leeward Hwy - abut 1/4 mi. south. So arrange for one to pick you up - they did for some of our divers. It was $10pp. and I doubt the driver can do a credit card - he's not their employee.

Ports of Call is/used to be a Comfort Suites IIRC, About two blocks to the west is Salt Mills Plaza and a block north is Grace Bay Beach itself. Don't eat at Danny Buoys as you might be going there the Friday night you return., Do get out and see Grace Bay beach - it is really spectacular.

There's really nothing down by the Explorer except private houses around the marina. So if you forget something, pick it up in town. There's a nice IGA foodstore about 3/4? mile east on Leeward for snacks//alcohol - Explorer provides local beer and cheap wine on-board. On our trip some of us went back to it after arrival since we weren't sailing til 2am high tide - and even then the ship scrapes. Even if you're sleeping, you'll hear it...lol.

Since I'm a google earth junkie - here it is in perspective. The red dot due south of Ports of Call is the marina/ship

explorer.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the goggle map Steve. The red dot helps me put location of hotels into perspective. Ports of Call is one of 3 hotels EV recommended. They also listed Sibonne Beach Hotel and I see that isn't far from Ports of Call. Anyone with experience or seen Ports of Call? Would it have restaurants within walking distance also?

I'd forgotten about them picking people up from hotels on their way. We did that once also. We've done the EV Turks trip a couple of times. We had lost luggage on one trip there and had to do without everything for the whole week. That's why I was considering going the day before.

We've stayed at Ports of Call; it used to be a Comfort Suites. I think it would be just fine for a short stay before getting on the Explorer. It is clean and well-maintained with shops and restaurants near by. But it is not on the beach and Grace Bay Beach is amazing, so if you'd a little beach time, then look for something else, but it will probably be more expensive.

Anyone with experience or seen Ports of Call? Would it have restaurants within walking distance also?

Oops, I meant to put Sibonne there. Was trying to ask about seeing Sibonne and if restaurants within walking distance of it.

Oops, I meant to put Sibonne there. Was trying to ask about seeing Sibonne and if restaurants within walking distance of it.
The Sibonne has the Bay Bistro which is where the boat went for Friday supper a few weeks ago. It was good.

Last December we stayed at the Harbour Club Villas in Provo before for a few days before our trip on T&C Aggressor. Very quiet area a little off the beaten path, there are 6 small cottages but the are very clean and the owners couldn't be more helpful. Pretty reasonable, functional kitchens for eating in, small pool but beaches were just few minute drive. Owners set us up with rental car from local operation, they met us and picked up car at dock when we boarded Aggressor so it was super easy. Nothing really in walking distance (restaurants or shops) but pretty spot and very peaceful.

We stayed at Turtle Cove Inn for one night when we did our liveaboard with Explorer. The room was clean and basic. The rate was reasonable. We also rented a car with Grace Bay car rental. They allowed us to leave the rental car at the marina where the Explorer docked so it was really convenient. We drove around to explore the island before our trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom