Housing vs a Underwater Camera Package?

Have you experienced a flooded camera housing?

• No: My camera has been on 25+ dives

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No: My camera has been on less than 25 dives

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Yes: My camera has been on 25+ dives

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Yes: My camera has been on less than 25 dives

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
I don't understand why there would be a dfferent risk of flooding. Any camera if you get some sand in the o-ring is going to flood. There is no difference, digital, film housed or UW camera the riskis about the same. Well, there is one difference: cost. Flooding a $1,000 camera is 5 times worse than flooding a $200 camera but the chance of it happening is about the same.

Yup, understand that. What I meant in the context of the discussion was that I could but an inexpensive dive camera in the DC250 and if it flooded, I would still have my topside camera to use for the other vacation pictures. I realize the risk is the same, and exactly as you said, flooding a $1000 camera is 5 times worse than a $200. I am trying to figure out whether buying a lower priced camera and working within the limitations of the camera, I could still be satisfied with the pictures.

I've been looking at three cameras and housings: Canon A520, A95, and Nikon Coolpix 5600. But these will all run close to $500 before I'm done. However, for $200 I could have a camera for diving which I do about twice a year...

SFScuba,

If you're just diving twice a year, then maybe the $200 dive camera is for you. But that means owning one camera for topside pictures and one camera that will be used only twice a year. I've thought about that scenario before I bought my current camera system. I decided to go with a housed digital camera--a Canon Powershot S40. So I have one camera that does both--take topside pics and underwater pics. It's all a matter of convenience and how much money you want to spend in the end.

Ericson

SFScuba:
Yup, understand that. What I meant in the context of the discussion was that I could but an inexpensive dive camera in the DC250 and if it flooded, I would still have my topside camera to use for the other vacation pictures. I realize the risk is the same, and exactly as you said, flooding a $1000 camera is 5 times worse than a $200. I am trying to figure out whether buying a lower priced camera and working within the limitations of the camera, I could still be satisfied with the pictures.

I've been looking at three cameras and housings: Canon A520, A95, and Nikon Coolpix 5600. But these will all run close to $500 before I'm done. However, for $200 I could have a camera for diving which I do about twice a year...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom