Houston Scout - Pensacola question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
our Boy Scout Troop has a growing group of divers that want to go diving in the Pensacola area in late June. We are all fairly new divers with 10-50 dives each. Does anyone have some suggestions for fun shallow dives in that Pensacola/Destin/Panama City area?

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Sorry, I don't have a lot of information for ya. I learned to dive in the scouts too.

Welcome to SB

HouScoutmaster:
Hi all,
our Boy Scout Troop has a growing group of divers that want to go diving in the Pensacola area in late June. We are all fairly new divers with 10-50 dives each. Does anyone have some suggestions for fun shallow dives in that Pensacola/Destin/Panama City area?

Thanks in advance!!

Here's a list of suggestions for your troop for the area.
  1. Assuming you're driving in on I-10, stop in Mobile and tour the USS Alabama (battleship) http://www.ussalabama.com/. They have a program that allows scout troops to spend the night on board in the bunks.
  2. After arriving in Pensacola, tour the Naval Air Station Aiviation Museum.
  3. For shore diving (cheaper/budget) I suggest the following in the area.
    • The Navarre Beach Pier
    • The Destin Jetties
    • Jetties in Panama City are popular also.
    • Florida Springs easily driveable from P'cola.
      • Vortex Springs ($25 entry fee - onsite dive shop. You can also camp at Vortex or stay in their bunk houses.)
      • Morrison Springs (free, but 20 minutes form Vortex to rent gear/tanks)
  4. For shallow non-shore-diving locations, you've got many choices in the shallowr 20-60 range to choose from. After you decide which area you might dive out of (destin, P'Cola, etc), then you can choose the wreck/site to dive. I suggest getting Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, 11th Edition

You'll be able to look through this book and find information about most of the sites.
  5. There is an Ordinance Museum at Eglin AFB that they might like, just north of Ft Walton.

Hope this helps with some information.

-Mike

good advice mike Looks like you have been there done that.

Howdy from The Lone Star State!

:hmmm: I don't know anything about that part of the state - not really known for its diving, I don't think. check with the folks on the Florida forum...

Glad you're here - PM me if I can help you find your way around...

:cowboy: don

smiley-linie-006.gif

How cool is that!
Welcome to ScubaBoard! I can't help you with a panhandle or N. FL location, but make sure you check on discounts as scouts. I have a cub scout den and have had pretty good luck with people willing to help the scouts out (especially if the contribution is an admission discount that doesn't involve something of intrinsic value). Sounds like mike gave you some good suggestions.

mike_s:
[*]For shore diving (cheaper/budget) I suggest the following in the area.
  • The Navarre Beach Pier
  • The Destin Jetties
  • Jetties in Panama City are popular also.
  • Florida Springs easily driveable from P'cola.
    • Vortex Springs ($25 entry fee - onsite dive shop. You can also camp at Vortex or stay in their bunk houses.)
    • Morrison Springs (free, but 20 minutes form Vortex to rent gear/tanks)

Great list Mike! I'd also like to include the Pensacola Beach Reef(old Pier rubble) which is 100m off the beach a few hundred feet East of the existing pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom