How Afraid are you of Titan Triggers?

How Afraid are you of Titan Triggers?

• I check under my bed and in my closet before I go to sleep.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I give them a W I D E berth.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • If they take an interest in me I find something different to do.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • As long as it isn't mating/brooding season, I'm cool.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Fish? I ain't afraid of no stinkin' fish!

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the most aggressive fish I have seen. I was bitten repeatedly even after kicking it with my fins. She drew blood. All I could think of is 'I am bleeding in Papua New Guinea where sharks are regularly trolling the water. Aaaaagh!' The Titan queens are the worst when nesting. Their territory is a tornado/cone shaped area above the nest. You think you are getting away from them by swimming up and away - instead you are getting deeper into their territory.

So how do you best get away, does anybody know?

Trigger fish... nastiest beast to ever inhabit the earth... above or below the water line...

Last edited:
So how do you best get away, does anybody know?

Best to swim away laterally, don't try to go up since the higher you go the wider the field they protect. Like AlaskaDiver said they keep to a cone shaped patrol when watching the nest so the higher you go the bigger the circle they patrol.

From what I hear, their territories are relatively small. I too have heard to swim straight away and you won't be pursued too far (worked for me when I needed it).

Vicious little buggers

As a youngster, while snorkeling on a reef in Am. Samoa I was approached from behind and was bit on the thigh by a 10 or 12 inch trigger fish.

To this day I still check the rear view from time to time while snorkeling or diving with these guys around.

I don't know if it was a Titan but it sure had a nasty attitude.

Pound for pound probably the meanest critter living in the sea as for as I'm concerned. Was attacked once off of Mabul Island it he was one persistent SOB.

Best to swim away laterally, don't try to go up since the higher you go the wider the field they protect. Like AlaskaDiver said they keep to a cone shaped patrol when watching the nest so the higher you go the bigger the circle they patrol.

Try sweeping the flashlight across their eyes. Cause them to divert their charge every time.

I said it once and i will say it again...if the titans were the size of sharks, you wouldnt find me 5miles from the ocean.

Swim laterally away and head for the deck. Dont forget to flip on to your back while you do that...so that you can see and ward off any attacks. Try with secondary air...purge it at them. Did it once and thwarted an attack

I can't help but smile at the thought of me kicking my legs toward the fish and trying to get out of the cone-zone. I was probably like watching some kind of underwater spastic spider. I'm sure if my dive buddy was watching me he would have laughed into his regulator.

Some of them are just more aggressive than others and will defend persistently beyond their territory. Others remain low at the nest.

Try sweeping the flashlight across their eyes. Cause them to divert their charge every time.

What if its day time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom