SeeAir - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no. If only because I'd the that ******* on the surface putting my thumb over the snorkel.
E850345F-FA43-4AC3-BA48-2B0946713CAC.jpeg

But to say it's "nothing new" because other hookah systems have existed in the past misses the point. The iPhone was nothing new, there were a lot of cell phones out there when it was introduced. And if you wanted to play music on the go, you could always use a discman, right?
Battery operated hookahs have been around for quite some time. That is how this is nothing new.

Would this be (potentially) useful for search and retrieval in rivers? Rather than police divers going full SCUBA to look for weapons etc. they could potentially use something like this? Not for body retrievals or anything large that could require lift bags or become a snagging hazard, but still it might provide an alternative option.

I've snorkeled for 2-3 hours before, would I have used something like this instead? Possibly, as I like to drop down 10-20' at various times. But then I wonder if this would lead to non-SCUBA folk doing this without any understanding or knowledge of the implications of spending an hour or more at 12 metres.

Their kickstarter page does leave a lot to be desired with all of the marketing garbage though! "maximum mobility" and "unrestricted movement"? Tethered is more mobile and less restricted than a tank on your back that lets you go wherever?! "anti-collision design" - what? It doesn't avoid collisions, they really state/mean that it "will not turn over in waves or collisions"!! This past week someone was hit on the surface by a boat taxi in Roatan. Can't say whether they had a signal/float etc. but I'm pretty sure that this device would not be an object that the boat captains would be on the lookout for!

And then they add that this is for "certified divers only". So that's their indemnification clause?!!

Would this be (potentially) useful for search and retrieval in rivers? Rather than police divers going full SCUBA to look for weapons etc. they could potentially use something like this? Not for body retrievals or anything large that could require lift bags or become a snagging hazard, but still it might provide an alternative option.

I've snorkeled for 2-3 hours before, would I have used something like this instead? Possibly, as I like to drop down 10-20' at various times. But then I wonder if this would lead to non-SCUBA folk doing this without any understanding or knowledge of the implications of spending an hour or more at 12 metres.

Their kickstarter page does leave a lot to be desired with all of the marketing garbage though! "maximum mobility" and "unrestricted movement"? Tethered is more mobile and less restricted than a tank on your back that lets you go wherever?! "anti-collision design" - what? It doesn't avoid collisions, they really state/mean that it "will not turn over in waves or collisions"!! This past week someone was hit on the surface by a boat taxi in Roatan. Can't say whether they had a signal/float etc. but I'm pretty sure that this device would not be an object that the boat captains would be on the lookout for!

And then they add that this is for "certified divers only". So that's their indemnification clause?!!
I wouldn't hold my breath for any of that... get it? Ha ha ha?

I mean, it's not for every dive situation, but I can certainly see (as mentioned upthread) places where this would be useful.

And just like how no one is carrying around a Zune these days, it's not that it does something that has never been done before, it just looks like a much better implementation of an electric Hookah system. The existing ones that I have seen are much heavier. They are open pump with clamps that clip on to an auto type battery, floating on an inflatable raft. This is a sealed, self-righting, self contained unit. So much easier to just grab it with one hand from the trunk of your car and throw it in the water. Of course, that all depends on it actually working like the prototype in the video.

Dunno about indemnification, but it's scuba gear, and just like every other piece of scuba gear, it's for certified divers. Don't see why it's an issue for them to say that. Pretty sure anyone selling a tank or a regulator would say the same thing. Is it possible to get those without being certified? Of course!

This is a sealed, self-righting, self contained unit. So much easier to just grab it with one hand from the trunk of your car and throw it in the water. Of course, that all depends on it actually working like the prototype in the video.
The only thing that needs to be said.

2B88C1D5-1114-403E-AA70-FEB8B131A51E.jpeg

It’s about the portability of energy. Nothing else new, here.

Commentary in video claims it "delivers 56L of oxygen per minute" :shakehead:

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom