How are you computing your SAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpedwards:
FWIW, the deeper the average depth you use in your calculation, the 'better' the SAC number you'll get.

so that begs the question: " are we looking for the best SAC rate or are we looking for a more accurate SAC rate?"

If I spent the bulk of my dive at 40 feet and dipped to 60 to pick up a dropped item for a couple of minutes, do I use the 40 to get a more representative idea of my sac rate for the dive or do I use the 60 to BS myself into thinking I have a much better consumption rate then I really do?

This is just food for thought

RIDIVER501,

I think what were are looking for is a more accurate way by which to calculate the SAC . . . what we are striving for is to perfect our diving skills to give us a lower SAC without a conscious effort to obtain such.

The first is a compiled mathematical formula generated to deliver information.
The second is the culmination of good diving practices, physical and mental conditioning.

the K

jpedwards:
FWIW, the deeper the average depth you use in your calculation, the 'better' the SAC number you'll get.

Depth, for the most part, has no effect upon the SAC rate. The SAC rate is a Surface Air Consumption index and, barring any outside effects, can be considered, to a certain extent, a constant.

Depth effects the SAC only as far as the volume of air that you use.

If your SAC rate is 0.4 then you use 0.4 cubic feet of air per minute at the surface.
At 66', all things being equal, your SAC rate is still 0.4, but you'll use 1.2 cubic feet of air because of the volume reduction due to increased pressure.

the K

Roger, understand that.

One can't track/see their improvement in SAC without the mathematics or a tool to show them the numbers.

but even with the mathematics, or the tools, if bogus info is put into the calculation, then you get a "garbage in - garbage out" situation. It may look good on paper but one is still sucking their tanks dry in no time flat.

perfecting one's dive skills goes with out saying, but divers shouldn't use math or tools to BS themselves into a false sense of improvement/proficiency. If bad data is being used in the calcs, then that is all they are doing.

Agreed . . .

the K

The Kraken:
Depth, for the most part, has no effect upon the SAC rate. The SAC rate is a Surface Air Consumption index and, barring any outside effects, can be considered, to a certain extent, a constant.

Depth effects the SAC only as far as the volume of air that you use.

If your SAC rate is 0.4 then you use 0.4 cubic feet of air per minute at the surface.
At 66', all things being equal, your SAC rate is still 0.4, but you'll use 1.2 cubic feet of air because of the volume reduction due to increased pressure.

the K

You are correct, but that isn't what he meant. I think what he was saying is, if you fudge and use a deeper average depth you can make the SAC look better than it is. That's basically what the OP was doing by using his max depth instead of his average depth.
Joe

Ah, my misunderstanding . . . apologies!

the K

Sideband:
You are correct, but that isn't what he meant. I think what he was saying is, if you fudge and use a deeper average depth you can make the SAC look better than it is. That's basically what the OP was doing by using his max depth instead of his average depth.
Joe
You mean I can't just use 130' as the average depth on that 130', 1 hour 18 minute dive on an AL80? :wink:

No, Charlie, you can't !!!!
You HAVE to use 132' because it equates to exactly 5 ATA.

the K

Back
Top Bottom